Yet Another G4 Sawtooth File Server

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Stevo B, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Stevo B macrumors newbie

Alright, so I found a 450mhz AGP G4 Sawtooth lying in the midst of a bunch of busted pc parts at my local thrift store Saturday. Plugged it in and it actually booted. So I grab it and run for the register. So for $25 I got a G4 with 384mb RAM, 20Gig drive, 16mb ATI Rage Pro card, and the DVD-ROM works, and the case is in great condition.

Took it home and it boots into OS 9. About and hour later I was booting into a clean install of OS X Tiger. It hooked right into my network via Ethernet and grabbed all updates. It runs great under Tiger but more RAM will be necessary in the future.

I'm a photographer and shoot a lot of pictures that take up a lot of hard drive space. At the moment they all go to external drives but I would like use this as an opportunity to setup a file server. So yesterday I ordered a RocketRAID 1520 PCI SATA card. I'm hoping this card will work in the G4 and will let me install a couple large SATA drives to send pictures to via my windows laptop.

How hard should it be to get a 1Tb SATA drive working with this setup. I already have a good bit of data on the drive and would like it if I could just plug and play. The drive is formatted in FAT32 currently. Is this feasible to think that this might not be a nightmare? Sorry for being so long winded.

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

That card says it supports OS-X and SATA 1.5gbps drives but will support SATA II drives at 1.5 speeds. I'd imagine a regular PCI SATA card and software RAID would work too. Also upgrading the memory wouldn't hurt too like you mentioned.