Yet another GPS question.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhonedHome, Jun 19, 2008.

1. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Will we be able to track our friends/family with their iPhone in terms of positioning. I other words do you think it will be possible to see on a map where a contact is located at that exact moment (assuming said contact(s) have the 3g iPhone)?

2. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Well, we did see that Loopt app at WWDC...pretty cool but a little "stalkerish"

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I was thinking the same thing.

5. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Ok, I'm a little new to this iPhone and GPS thing (I am getting the 3g iPhone on July 11) and I know about the Loopt app but was wondering for it to work.... do your friends have to have an iPhone or GPS on their phones or does it matter if they have either of those? Thanks!

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I can't answer with certainty, but I would assume they need gps.

7. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

They could come out with an app that others with iPhones could run (or they could have cross platform compatibility) to locate your friends and track them. This would require your friends to have a some kind of "track me" option turned on, so no stalking unless you want them to see you.

I am not sure we will see it right away in the App store, but it will happen.

8. Kupe macrumors member

I can't wait to hear the first report of a guy, away from home on a business trip, after an extra long day at a conference, decides to check his Loopt to see how his sweetheart is doing back at home... only to see his best friend's tag next to his sweetheart's tag at his house - at 2:00 am!!! :eek: This will make for some interesting urban legend material!! :cool:

9. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

ha, one of the many downsides to modern tech.

i agree that we'll see this sort of thing in one form or another for sure.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I can see quite a few "generous" (read jealous) partners buying this for their SOs and secretly activating this handy little app. ;)

11. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Like others have said, I can't quote with any real certainty, but I am pretty sure that anyone running Loopt (or whatever it's called) on their 3G iPhone would just log off the service.

If they were smart and up to no good anyway.

The old maxim still goes though, that if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear.

I've spoken to a few of my friends about that app and they all say "no way", they don't want to know where everyone is or to have people know where they are. So although it's a very cool thing, it's going to have a small user base percentage-wise. Sure all the Facebookers will love it but not me.

I am looking forward to the 3G phone though. I'm in Canada and feel like we've not eaten for years while the rest of the civilized world has had their fill of iPhone.

Bring on the iPhone mania - eh? So we can order our Canadian Bacon pizza and check Hockey scores and see how deep the snow is all on one device.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Gawd, my new 3G iPhone is gonna' be "stalkercised" does that come with satellite imaging to boot v. fries and a large drink? :eek::D

13. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Yeah, but he's probably already had the iSight in his iMac set to "motion activate" for years, so he knows exactly what's going on when he's not there!

14. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Question about loopt application: I've noticed the ability to communicate to your friends while using this app. what im wondering is whether it is using sms or IM?

15. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Commutate?
    Now there's an interesting thought. ;)

Although you perhaps meant communicate?

16. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

what would we do without the grammar police?

17. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Found the answer. YES :)

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

No no, you misunderstand me. ;)
    I really thought you were on to something there… but it seems not. :eek:

19. DubbleDuecer macrumors member

HA, Im from WI and thats funny. Should of said something Aboot locking your doors.