Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Good thread. I'm very tempted to try out an HTC One X or GS3. I have had iPhones since 2007 and iOS is just getting a bit boring. I jailbroke a few months back to freshen my 4 up leading into the new phone, and honestly it was fun for a week and not it's still the same experience. I then started looking at what I really do with my phone and it's mostly music with some email and web browsing (aside from texting and phone.) The iPhone does all those things just fine, yet I keep getting drawn to these 2 devices! Today I found iSyncr and Music PlayerPro and I'm again very tempted to try it out. I wish AT&T didn't have that $35 restocking fee for exchanging should I decide to get the new iPhone.

Any other hurdles people had when going from iOS to Android? I'm guessing pictures are just drag and drop onto the card somewhere? And those pictures can then be used as wallpaper? I've read that Android lack the tap on time to go to the top of a page. I can see that being missed.

I wish Apple would do a bigger refresh on iOS. I think widgets would go a long way towards that. I do love the way I can do more with the lock screen when jailbroken, accessing NC and replying to texts without unlocking. Glad we have some great options available out there now!

I had the One X and it's a great phone, but the S3 is the better pick since it's soooooo well supported. You have a problem, there is likely a fix for it. Accessories are easy to find since it's the one form factor all around the world and there are small varaitaions to the NA One X with the S4 processor that make some stuff not work with the Tegra 3 One X.

As for hurdles, you will need to learn a new UI and stuff like that. Otherwise, I've moved most of my stuff to the cloud, so all of my contacts synced, my music is streamed from Amazon, etc. So it depends on how heavily you are entrenched with iTunes Syncing. I would recommend using the tools featured in this thread. You can use any jpg as a wallpaper you take just like iOS. It's just a bit funkier cuz you have to crop it to fit the dimensions of the home screen.

I do miss the tap on time to go to the top, but apps usually have a Jump to the Top option in their menu or Kinetic Scrolling will get you to the top in no time. Android since ICS has been amazing. I found my self to not be a fan in the pre-ICS era, but after ICS, it's been smooth sailing.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Good thread. I'm very tempted to try out an HTC One X or GS3. I have had iPhones since 2007 and iOS is just getting a bit boring. I jailbroke a few months back to freshen my 4 up leading into the new phone, and honestly it was fun for a week and not it's still the same experience. I then started looking at what I really do with my phone and it's mostly music with some email and web browsing (aside from texting and phone.) The iPhone does all those things just fine, yet I keep getting drawn to these 2 devices! Today I found iSyncr and Music PlayerPro and I'm again very tempted to try it out. I wish AT&T didn't have that $35 restocking fee for exchanging should I decide to get the new iPhone.

Any other hurdles people had when going from iOS to Android? I'm guessing pictures are just drag and drop onto the card somewhere? And those pictures can then be used as wallpaper? I've read that Android lack the tap on time to go to the top of a page. I can see that being missed.

I wish Apple would do a bigger refresh on iOS. I think widgets would go a long way towards that. I do love the way I can do more with the lock screen when jailbroken, accessing NC and replying to texts without unlocking. Glad we have some great options available out there now!

Biggest piece of advice I would give anyone who plans to try android is give it time. Those who say, "I tried it for 24hrs and took it back" should have never picked one up in the first place. It's not iOS, it's never going to be iOS, so go into it with an open mind and the ability to appreciate the differences. There are things iOS does better than Android, there are things Android does better than iOS.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Thanks for the responses. I think it's funny that anyone gives anything an "honest chance" for 24 hours also. I figure it would take at least a week unless you can't do the tasks you need to do with it. Which just isn't the case here I don't think.

Still going back and forth on this several times a day. I over analyze things, so it takes me a while to make a change like this.

BoxerGT2.5, Legacy? I had an 04 WRX until 09. I still miss that car.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Biggest piece of advice I would give anyone who plans to try android is give it time. Those who say, "I tried it for 24hrs and took it back" should have never picked one up in the first place. It's not iOS, it's never going to be iOS, so go into it with an open mind and the ability to appreciate the differences. There are things iOS does better than Android, there are things Android does better than iOS.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I took me about one month to start to really like the device after the initial customization and learning curve etc.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I do miss the tap on time to go to the top, but apps usually have a Jump to the Top option in their menu or Kinetic Scrolling will get you to the top in no time. Android since ICS has been amazing. I found my self to not be a fan in the pre-ICS era, but after ICS, it's been smooth sailing.

I agree I love tapping the time to goto the top. However with Android, at least vanilla android I find a good flick of the screen can carry you all the way up or down, at least very close.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Of course, neither Apple nor Google sell anybody's info to outside companies.

That would be foolish. It would be like Apple selling their iTunes credit card list.

It's by keeping that info secret, that they both make money selling anonymous ad slots to those outside companies.

I am pretty sure Google offers direct marketing opportunities to its clients, but if we accept that what you say is correct, then Google sells the opportunity to exploit the information they have collected on users. To me, this amounts renting out the information collected, and to the end user the experience of intrusive, unwanted ads is the same as outright selling it. Like I said, the 'darker side'.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia

Long time iPhone user, I've tried both the SG3 and currently own the 1X.

I recommend the 1X if your also into aesthetics as I am, also Sense is much better than touch wiz.

SD Card and non-removable battery aside, the 1X is EASILY better.

Also, the SG3 has some known battery issues!?

kdarling

macrumors P6
I am pretty sure Google offers direct marketing opportunities to its clients, but if we accept that what you say is correct, then Google sells the opportunity to exploit the information they have collected on users. To me, this amounts renting out the information collected, and to the end user the experience of intrusive, unwanted ads is the same as outright selling it. Like I said, the 'darker side'.

Apple does exactly the same thing with iAds: they sell ad placements based on the information they've gathered about us, along with our current location.

Apple might even have a big advantage over Google, in that Apple has years of iTunes information about us: what videos, songs, apps, iBooks, etc we like. Probably has our credit history, too, for those who use a credit card.

There are no "light" sides these days :)

Last edited:

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
I tried the S3 today at the mall, and well it is a real beauty. Except the typing that can be outdone (compared to a physical keyboard imo), it is a great device.

Has anyone had email issues? I mean, for instance, updating the inbox isn't done, and you have to fight yourself from spams & deleted emails on your phone once you've done so in your gmail inbox.

This happens all the time the blackberry, no matter what filter I create...:(

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Long time iPhone user, I've tried both the SG3 and currently own the 1X.

I recommend the 1X if your also into aesthetics as I am, also Sense is much better than touch wiz.

SD Card and non-removable battery aside, the 1X is EASILY better.

Also, the SG3 has some known battery issues!?

I prefer the newest touchwiz to sense any day. Picture in picture, smart alerts and such are really cool and useful. I wish they were built into vanilla android....watching a YouTube while reading a forum would be useful to me on a tablet....

I think the battery issue was an app related thing due to tilt to scroll (can the 1x do that? If so you may want to see if your battery life improves) with Chrome browser.

I think the battery last a lot longer on the s3 regardless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi5eH1eMw_E

There are some not so scientific test in there...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.