Yet another iPad 2 now vs 3 question...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jedi5, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Have a birthday coming up in the first week of February. Got wind that my wife and kids are looking to buy me the iPad 2 for my birthday.

Part of me wants to accept the gift now and the other part wants to tell them to wait for the i3 to come out. Thing is... when is it coming out???

If it was me on my own, I'd wait it out.
    But it's a gift from family and my kids are really excited to go shopping at the Apple store. :D

What would you do if you were my shoes?
    You find out that your parents-girlfriend-wife are going to buy you an iPad 2 as a surprise. Do you say something or just smile and accept?

2. dischNoutTAspd macrumors regular

3. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I think you'd have to wait a month or two tops for the 3 to come out. Ask for an apple card perhaps? If it were me I'd wait.

4. iTunes-Luv macrumors member

iTunes-Luv

All retail store have the iPad 2 on sale this holiday (up to $50 off) which is rare for an Apple product. So I am pretty sure the iPad 3 will come as expected this Spring. You can tell them to give you an Apple gift card if they really want to shop at Apple store :D

5. Akack macrumors 6502a

6. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Yeah I agree but going out and buying a gift card is not as much fun as actually buying a gift. At least from a kids point of view.

Part of me wants to *hint* at waiting but I don't want to come of sounding like an ass. I've also been on the flip side so I know the feeling of doing your homework for the perfect gift only to find out the other person changed their mind. Now you are scrambling to find something else.

I don't want to sound ungrateful or hurt their feelings but at the same time I also don't want to get the 2 only for the 3 to come out 2 weeks later.

Eh, I'll just smile and open my gift.
    I mean it's an iPad!!!

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think if your wife is creative, it ought to be possible to make an outing to get a gift card almost as fun as buying an actual iPad. Then, when the iPad 3 comes out, you could organize another outing, this time with yourself and the kids, to go pick up your iPad. Should be a good way to maximize the fun for all involved.

8. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Oh I agree with you on that.
    But let's say the iPad comes out 2-3 months later...
    I can picture my young kids now:

Is it out yet?
    Is it out yet?
    What about now?
    Is it out yet?
    Is it out yet?
    Now?
    Tomorrow?
    Can we call?
    Let's go check.

9. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'd tell my wife that if she and the kids are planning on buying me an iPad 2, to wait for the iPad 3 and I'd let her tell the kids so they don't know I know. (Perhaps she and the kids could get you something little too, just for the meantime.)

10. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

She knows I've been eyeing the Canon T3i too.
    But rumors going around of the T4i either being announced or released too.
    I just can't win.

11. Shadyriley macrumors 6502

Lol this guy wow man you have life so hard how do you ever deal with the stress of getting gifts?!