Yet Another iPhone Purchase Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thunderclap, Jul 3, 2008.

1. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

Currently my wife and I are on a Family Plan through US Cellular. On Friday we both work but, thankfully, my job is only a few hours and I can get to an Apple or AT&T store right away in the morning.

I'm getting the iPhone, she isn't (I don't need all those features!) so I'm wondering... can I pick up the iPhone and set up a plan that morning and then either get her a phone online through AT&T or at the AT&T store and have the account switched to a Family Plan? Since we're moving our phone numbers over she needs to physically be in the store and won't be able to until after work, around 6pm.

Come to think of it... the current Family Plan with US Cellular is in my wife's name. Will I be able to switch my number without her? Or, if I take all the necessary paperwork in, will I be able to switch both our numbers over without her?

Thoughts?

2. alexuser macrumors newbie

So basically you both will get an iPhone, you first and you wife later? Is US cellular an AT&T Retailer? I think it's going to get messy because if you transfer your number you will be breaking up the family plan and also if you both get the new iPhone, you will probably need to sign up for the iPhone's family plan.
    About switching the number, I believe you can sign for your wife as long as you know her SSN and bring in all the paperwork just in case.
    Hope this helped.