Yet another Mac Pro memory upgrade question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alx6, Sep 3, 2008.

1. alx6 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm the happy owner of an Intel Xeon Mac Pro (last model). As I didn't get to choose the config, it was bought with 4x 1gb Apple memory modules.

Now I'd like to add more memory but what I'm reading in the guides, these forums and on various websites is often contradictory. I'd like at least a total of 8gb inside : what would you recommend as an upgrade (I'm not sure I'll keep the current modules) ?

- I was considering adding 2x 4gb. Will it be faster if I only put 2x 4gb inside, or can I have both the 2x 4gb and 4x 1gb, for a total of 12gb ?

Or should I consider adding another 4x 1gb, to fill all the slots ?

- Is placement important (putting the 4gb or the 1gb modules first) ? I'll also bootcamp in vista, so memory performance in windows, though secondary, is also important to me.

- Last question, I'm probably going to buy the memory from the crucial website... is it goog enough ? do you have another suggestion ?

Sorry for my bad english and thanks for taking the time to read my rambling and (eventually) answering me :rolleyes:

2. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

2 x 4GB would be perfectly fine. ;) No need to fill up all the slots- as you may want to add more in the future.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Here's how you should do it:

Riser A: 1GB 1GB 4GB 4GB
    Riser B: 1GB 1GB xxx xxx