Yet another Mac Pro or iMac question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adam11216, Aug 8, 2007.

1. adam11216 macrumors newbie

Through NYU I can get the Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Mac Pro for $2100 or the 24" 2.4GHz iMac for $1700. It'll be used 8+ hours a day for web and print design. Right now I'm using a 1GHz PowerBook G4, so either one is going to feel lightning fast. My major hangup with the iMac is the glossy screen - went and tried it out in the Apple Store and wasn't crazy about it, but my office is about 300 megawatts dimmer than the store, with no direct sunlight on the screen. I'm leaning towards just going ahead and finally getting the Mac Pro I've always wanted, since it's only an extra $400 and I already have a decent 20" Samsung monitor. Realize it's probably overkill, but it'll keep me from having to buy another computer for the foreseeable future.

Many thanks for any and all advice.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

at the end of the day, you're gonna be the one looking at it. if you dont like the glossy, then the choice is clear - go pro. especially if you really like your current screen. the mac pro is also more upgradeable for hte future.

4. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I'd get the mac pro. Very upgradeable, you already have a screen, and could last you longer. The thing that temps me so much about the mac pro is that it can handle 32gb of ram and 4 hard drives! Plus when bluray/hd-dvd become more standard it'll be easier to upgrade that mac pro.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I believe that Intel said it would have its future Xeons support the Mac Pro's motherboard as well. You'll have processor support until 2009. Well if in 2 years you want replace the processors.

6. adam11216 thread starter macrumors newbie

yep, you're all right. just wanted to hear the affirmation. thanks!