Yet another Mac Pro thread.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by supercooled, Sep 7, 2007.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

As far back as I can remember, I have always been pining for a Mac, especially their Pro line. It was the Titanium PowerBook that began my love affair with Macs but I just never had the funds or could justify spending that kind of money on a computer. This past Christmas, I took the plunge and bought myself a MBP. OSX is really worth its weight in gold. I guess it's the same reason people buy Audis or BMWs once they mature. I'd like to think buying Macs is somewhat germane to buying automobiles. That said, my ideal computer should last me some years down the road. My last PC that I built myself has served me well for the last 3 years. With all that said, it's time to get a desktop replacement and the MP is it. What I want is to pair it with a 30" ACD. I'm currently running my MBP off the Dell 2407 and it's wonderful. I've heard so much good things about the ACD line I've decided to go Apple through and through.

My thoughts are to get the display first which the MBP can immediately enjoy, then 6 months down the road, I can get the mac pro which hopefully will have better specs. It should be said that neither items are essential. These are more "I want" rather then "I need" purchases. Still I'm perplexed by which to get.

What would you do in my shoes?

2. Rowlander macrumors member

Well it depends on what you do with it. I have the 2407 too and it´s standing next to my old 19" CRT. I do a lot of Video-Editing and I have about enough space with the two displays. If I was editing only on the 24-incher, I would probably want even more space.

If you think the jump from 24 to 30 inch will make you work more efficiently then it should be worth it.

I think you should only consider buying the Mac Pro if you feel like your MBP slows you down in some areas. I bet a lot of people would call the MBP a desktop-replacement, so be sure, you really get something out of it before you ad a Mac Pro to your already fast MBP. It also depends on how much money is a factor to you of course :).

I am waiting for the Mac Pro-Update since I can neither consider the iMac or the MBP for several reasons. My PC is almost 5 years old and god, it is so slow!
    I need the new Mac Pro bad so I can finally switch to Final Cut! :(