Yet another Macbook bag thread ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roisin and mac, Mar 19, 2008.

1. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Hey everyone, I'm having a bit of trouble locating the ideal (Ok, a suitable) dedicated messenger-style bag for my white macbook. My main difficulty is that I'm fairly tall, so I need a very long strap if I'm to be able to carry this across the body, even more so in winter when I've got my big duffle coat on :)

Essentially, I would like the bag to have a flap covering a single large pocket with a separate padded compartment, open at the top. I'm wanting it to be open at the top so I can easily sit down at some cafeteria or library, pull out the thing and work even if I only got about half an hour--I already have a sleeve which is mighty useful when I want to carry more stuff than just the lappie and the mouse and adapter along with my keys and wallet, as well as for travelling distances with the MB, but using it day to day around the city often puts me into situations where to use it I need to:

1. Set down the bag
    2. make space for the sleeve on a table
    3. Pull out the sleeve and lay it down on the table
    4. Open the sleeve
    5. Drag out the computer
    6. Find somewhere to dump the sleeve 'til I got the 'puter settled
    7. Tidy up the bag, sleeve, accessories
    8. well you get the idea ;) By the time I'm done with all that and finally sitting in front of my computer, my quiet bit of down time doing interesting things on my computer is over and I have to pack up again :eek: No good lol

So I want something which is a) snug and protective (hence a special MacBook size, none of that 'fits computers that are 15" or less' stuff where it would rattle about) yet b) quick on the draw ;)--hence the open-top bit.

I would also like it not to be too hideous or overly techie-looking. I am a girl, and even though I'm no girly-girl barbie-doll type (so no pink stuff please, no matter the shade), I do occasionally wear such things as skirts and fitted jackets, so it would be useful to own a thing I can carry without looking like I'm carrying somebody else's bag <g>

I don't mind sacrificing a bit of carrying comfort in exchange for the other stuff I want, like a smaller profile etc and a lower price too, because I shan't be walking miles with the thing or carrying around masses of stuff--that's what I've got the sleeve+backpack combo for.

In other words, I need the Crumpler Boomer :) It's perfect in every way, including the price, but for one, single thing: the length of the strap, which is 52 inches at full length I am told. So I just want to find the nearest thing to that, but with a longer strap; about 4-6 inches extra would be a real boon. I may yet decide to put up and shut up about the strap length issueif there's nothing else as nice, but I thought I'd ask y'all first. you usually seem to come up with the goods all right :)

2. Ashendar macrumors newbie

To be honest i'm not that familiar with messenger style bags for the macbook (alas i don't have one :(), so i would imagine there are many more informed people to give you advice.

However, if your after something unusual and different, you may want to check out bags made by Frietag, which i came across recently:
    http://www.freitag.ch/shop/FREITAG/page/frontpage/detail.jsf

They are a Swiss company that make funky bags from recycled products including car seatbelts, truck tarpaulins and bicycle inner tubes. In addition to making sleeves for macbooks, some of their messenger style bags include padded pockets for a macbook.

The main downsides are that they are somewhat expensive, while im not sure if their straps are long enough to meet your needs. might be worth a look nonetheless.

Cheers

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Boomer or Embarrassment

Are you in the UK? The boomer is a UK bag... the Crumpler Considerable Embarrassment is the US equivalent (or at least pretty darm similar) of the Boomer, and the strap clocks in at 56" when fully extended. (I just measured mine with a tape measure, so I'm positive about that).

4. dbradford macrumors newbie

5. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey there, thanks for the link, they were worth the look--even though they don't seem to make many bags with a dedicated padded laptop compartment (I had only a quick look as yet, but I couldn't find any). But you're right in that they're unusual and different. I'm kind of jonesing for the little girly bag they have in the downtown section--cheaper too! The ipod cases are nice too, I love how they're designed to hold the earphones too, most of the others aren't! Thanks for this link, I've bookmarked them for future reference ;)

Yeah I'm in Europe, so the Considerable Embarrassment (these names really crack me up, cheesy as they are :)) is out, it would be the Boomer. Maybe they think/have noticed that North Americans/Australians are taller on average? Dunno, personnally I'm taller than the mean for females in the US too, anyway, so I don't know lol. Too bad, 'cause I also like the padded piece on the strap on the Cons. Embarassment (heh, <giggle snort>)

Thanks for the link, I actually knew about them because I had done some searching before finally deciding to post due to the strap length issue. Theirs might be long enough but even so they're not for me for what I might call stylistic concerns; they're very nice bags I'm sure (they seem well-made and sturdy), but I'm after something less luggage-like and technical-looking.

Thanks everyone, and keep the ideas coming!!

6. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

7. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

Well then, problem solved! Get any messenger bag you'd like, and put this in it. It's designed to fit your macbook, and should accomplish exactly what you want - superior protection for the macbook, and no hassles getting the macbook out of the case when you need to use it.

The only problem with this German-designed case is that it's not yet available in the United States . . . but it should be readily available where you are, so lucky you!!! :)

8. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

I did some serious reserach on the same topic in September for my MacBook Pro instead of just a macbook (but this ends up applying more to you than to me so read on). After doing a ton of research, I came up with the Manhattan Portage 1459 West Side Laptop Bag in Black.. I was ina black phase. Anyway, it turns out its about a centimeter too short for my MBP but works fantastic for my best friends White Macbook (I'm seroiusly jealous) and she inherited it.

I also found it really cheap using pricegrabber.com as the website lists it around 100 dollars and I found it for 45 (this is US I'm not sure how it would work in Europe)

9. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

10. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be so sanguine :). It certainly looks nice and sturdy, but it does still seem to be a sleeve, and besides I haven't managed to find much on it apart from the link you gave me--including no bigger pictures of it in action. I suppose one could wait 'til it's out, but I need the bag quicker than that so I guess not this time :)

Good stuff--the small khaki messenger especially looks great, but i can't find anything about shipping to where I am. I might write to them later on tonight though!

This is a cool bag, and I think black must look even neater than the other colors (no contrasting zips!) Thanks for showing me, but unfortunately it costs 40 bucks to ship to Europe, which is almost half the price of the bag! And I can't use pricegrabber and similar services so well because there's no way to do the price comparisons with the shipping. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question though!

You'll sell me your what again?

Thanks for the offer! You can pm me if you want

11. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

12. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that, I'm definitely going to be shopping with them in a while because someone recommended the screen protectore cloths they sell and I'll see if it does for the bag as well!

I really like that Cargo bag!

13. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

Hello again!

It is my understanding that the iSaver shell I recommended earlier is available for sale in Apple stores in the UK and Europe. The company's [URL="http://www.isaver-shell.com/]German-language website[/URL] also lists an online store in Europe that carries it. It is only in the US that it is not yet available.

But perhaps it is just not what you are looking for . . . :(

14. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh right! I looked carefully and saw the bit right at the bottom where it lists the stores you can get it at (in Germany and Switzerland), plus tht you can get them on eBay--they give you the search term to enter too, which is a nice touch! Still though, I don't think it's best suited to my needs, in particular because it's a portrait orientation, and I can't seem to get used to bags that are like that! thanks for the idea though.

I think I'm probably going to have to get the boomer like I was going to at first, because other than the strap length, it really is perfect.

15. bigaug macrumors newbie

I have to say, I really like that STM Rogue backback. I might buy that. I'm glad i saw this thread :)

16. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I have a Jack Spade messenger bag that I'm very happy with. It has a dedicated laptop sleeve which is hard at the bottom and on the sides for protection in the vital areas. The great thing is the bag doesn't look like a laptop bag so thieves won't target it :)

http://www.jackspade.com/shop/home.php?cat=306

17. catelliott macrumors newbie

Timbuk2

I would suggest a Timbuk2 bag. I don't personally have one or know how long the straps are, but I've been wanting one for a while......

Features:
    1. one large pocket with flap cover (buckles don't need to be secured)
    2. waterproof
    3. practically indestructible
    4. the company specifies dimensions of laptop sleeves in terms of MB, MBP, etc.
    5. some good color combinations
    6. other things that I won't list for fear of being pinned as a sales rep. Just check out the website: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/home

The only downside is that they cost $100+. I'm also not sure about shipping etc. to countries other than the US.

Good luck!

18. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Crumpler backpack. I have one and I love it, very high quality.

19. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

heh, glad to be of service. Let us know how the backpack works out!

Oh wow *drool* I love those bags. Lovely designs, neat and streamlined and friendly-looking *slurp* Very nice. hope they ship to Yurp for a reasonable price, have sent email, we'll see how it pans out. thanks for showing me them anyway, nice design is always nice to see!

thanks! the shipping is mad unfortunately, it costs about 50 bucks for one bag:eek: Plus customs of course, and based on that price, I reckon they ship by UPS or some other courier service, and these have a bad record for getting their stuff snipped in customs and making you PAY! through the nose, lol ;) for some reason USPS stuff tends to go through without a hitch, even if it isn't especially cheap.

Ah well I posted a topic on their discussion board (they have this fancy discussion board there, all powered by their customer service people! I was like, wow! I've never seen such a thing! And I think it's all flash or something fancy like that. Tbh I posted just as much out of curiosity as to how this thing works, as I did for the feedback!). We'll see how it goes!

Thanks, but I'm looking for a messenger here. It helps with removing the laptop out of the bag quickly; you don't need to put the bag down to do it. it's neat. Plus I already have a regular backpack that I use with a sleeve, for days when I have more gear to carry!

20. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

I'm glad you were able to find one that you liked from this thread. That was actually the same bag I want to get :D. Some STM bags look really neat, that's why I posted it, they seem to be overlooked.

21. Sawyl macrumors newbie

I don't know if you've chosen a bag already or not, but the STM cargo that you said you liked is available direct from Apple, both online and in their stores. I saw one the other day in-store, and would've bought one on the spot had it not been slightly out of my price range (£69.99). It's a really nice bag.

I can't comment on the strap length - being quite short it's not something that's an issue for me so I didn't check :p but I know that STM sell replacement straps that are 59 inches in length. Whether all their bags offer the same length or not, I don't know...

Regardless of whether I've been any help or not... it's a good thread you've started here :) I came across it while googling for information on the Crumpler Boomer... and while I'm still undecided about whether to go for that or a STM loft/alley, or something by Tech Air, I've found plenty for me to think about here. Thanks!
    :D

22. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's a great bag, but it's kind of pricey for me too really. Plus, I still have the niggling worry that the laptop slot is removable, so it won't stay in the bag when I try to pull out the Macbook.

' it's a good thread you've started here '

Thanks!! I was rather pleasantly surprised with its popularity as well! I mean I'd seen lots of threads relating to bags for laptops, and I thought I'd maybe get a couple of answers from some nice, helpful people so I could finally make a decision, but there were lots more, and you're I think the second person to say they actually found it useful too--I'm glad!!

Oh, almost forgot :) : I think I'm going to get the Boomer, myself. Really, it's perfect apart for the strap length: the right features, the right price, the right shape, nice colors, and it even comes recommended! Besides, I think even the strap length shouldn't be too much of an issue except when I've got my winter coat on. Right now it's only early spring, and I'm already never in anything thicker than a fitted cotton jacket, and it will be a whole six months before I will be wearing my duffle coat daily again, in which time I intend to really circulate with the lappie. In that time, I will have gotten enough use out of it that it won't be much loss of money to sell it on used if I find it's no good with a thick coat <shrug>. So watch for a possible Marketplace thread come autumn lol!!

Let us know what you got!!

23. Ariez macrumors regular

I have both a Jack Spade (For when im wearing business type clothes) and a Crumpler (For the casual).

Both great bags.