Yet another MacBook thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by martychang, Sep 3, 2007.

1. martychang macrumors regular

Hey there: new here, new to Macs. I'm going to be starting college soon, going for computer science, I've heard having a laptop with a UNIX backend is all but mandatory in this major.

I have Debian Linux on my desktop here just fine, but the Macbook looks like an acceptable deal, and I like trying out new OS'es for no reason :p

Thing being, Macbook or Macbook Pro? I've used them both in person at a CompUSA, and the MBP admittedly has a keyboard which I find heinously annoying, like all laptop keyboards. The Macbook surprised me though, I don't make typos on it because of strange, smooshed keys like other laptops. That and it's cheaper, nice processor for the price.

On the MBP side, I do like playing some games sometimes, and don't NEED the lightest laptop there is, the screen real estate would be appreciated. That and every ounce of processor power counts when compiling programs.

What do you guys think?

P.S. while I'm here, what's the temperature like on these things? A lot of my friends have been getting laptops, and they're all like furnaces it seems...

2. contraband macrumors newbie

Look around the internet for benchmarks of the latest models, the MBP does compile faster than the regular MB, but the amount which it exceeds vs. price of power is up to preference.

I know that the MBP tends to run a little hot--warm to the touch after a couple hours of daily use, after a couple hours of heavy compiling/rendering/gaming etc, they have been known to run up into 85-90 degrees C. It isn't dangerous for the hardware, as the stock has been rated to work up to 100dC, but it would be harsh against bare skin. Then again, if you're using your laptop hardcore like that, it'll more than likely be on a desk. I do not know offhand this information regarding the regular MacBook, because I haven't researched it. I'm sure there are plenty of trials available to read online.

I'm going into CS too, and I'm planning on purchasing a MBP, for what it's worth. I think the dedicated video card alone will help the laptop serve me for 3+ years at uni.