yet another mba thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sk8andmetal, Oct 29, 2014.

1. sk8andmetal macrumors member

sk8andmetal

Hi Folks,

i'm starting a new business soon and currently working on the equipement.
    i've been using a macbook pro (late 09) for almost 5 years but recently the logic board failed.

local vendor is giving me a realy good price with a macbook air (13,3 i5@1.4, 128 SSD and upgrade to 8gb of RAM).
    my business will mainly be around web site creation and premium computing support. i've been able to perform such work on my old mbp. so i do assume that the i5 will give me enough experience for such work (coda, macaw, photoshop and other tools to support computing fleet , eventually a virtual windows computer). can anyone confirm the assumption ?

i've read here and there that 128gb ssd are a less performant than 256, what's the gap between both drives, is the 256 rteally worth it ? i don't really need lot of storage, most of my stuff will be on my nas, cloud or external drive.

thanks for your comment & help :)
    rgds,

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't worry about any possible performance differences between the 128GB and 256GB SSD, but rather the size difference. Can you live within such a small drive?

The SSD is going to be much faster then your older computer's hard drive, so don't sweat the small stuff. The speed difference is so tiny it won't be noticeable.

3. sk8andmetal thread starter macrumors member

sk8andmetal

hi Mike,

i forgot to mention that the mbp have been upgraded to SSD too so i've a good idea of the perf increase. the size doesn't really matter as i will have almost everything on my NAS and always had a decent 1tb hard drive with me.
    i do assume that the OSx10.10 will take 10-25gb to this i had my apps let's take 20gb to be sure (iwork, photoshop, macaw, coda, and that's almost everything) so it will remain 70gb for data ... really enough for me :)

therefore if the SDD performance variation is almost not visible, that will confirm my new acquisition soon :D

thanks for your help:)

4. motrek macrumors 68020

Unless you are frequently copying gigabytes of data around (which virtually nobody does), you will notice zero performance difference.