Yet another MBP 15" 2011 heat thread: Stress test and normal temps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Udden, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Udden macrumors newbie

First of all, I've actually tried to use mroogle, but I can't really find a good answer. If you really can't stand another of these threads, look no further.

I got my 15" 2.2 (500 gb, high res) mbp yesterday. While I'm very happy with the overall perfomance, snappiness etc. I'm a bit worried about my temps. It might be because of all other threads but if mine are defective I'd like to get a replacement while I still can.

The first thing I did was installing windows and installing Dragon age 2 in order to stress the system. The first temps I got was 95-100 (!). However this might have been before the fans kicked in because it ran at ~90 later. Although with some spikes.
    The game itself did run nice, I played at high settings, max resolution (high res screen), and DX11 mode.

I decided to try the game in OS X and it is a bit cooler, usually ~80-86. Which I guess is OK. But I can't decide if this really runs the system to the max.

Surfing with Safari, my temps are about 45-50 C. Using Facetime, my cpu goes up to ~75-80C (!) (~3400 rpm).

So my questions are:
    Are there any good stress test to decide how my cooling system runs?
    Also what are normal idling/max temps in these machines?
    Should I be worried (because I am)?

I'd appreciate any help!

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Those all appear to be normal. Remember you're using a quad core processor which consumes 10 more watts than the last generation.

3. endless17 macrumors member

yep, and Facetime is using an inordinate amount of CPU cycles to render the video streams for some reason, so even that temps seem to be within range.

4. teflonsheep macrumors newbie

I'm getting similar results running games in windows.

Here's my temps while browsing:
    Temperature 1 26°C (78°F) [0x1A] (Mainboard)
    Temperature 2 45°C (112°F) [0x2D] (CPU Diode)
    Temperature 3 43°C (109°F) [0x2B] (CPU)
    Temperature 5 41°C (105°F) [0x29] (GPU)
    Temperature 8 39°C (102°F) [0x27] (Heatsink #1)
    Temperature 9 39°C (102°F) [0x27] (Northbridge)
    Temperature 10 25°C (76°F) [0x19] (Slot #0)
    Fan 0 2005 RPM [0x7D5] (Left side )
    Fan 1 1996 RPM [0x7CC] (Right side )

CPU maxes out in the low 90s before the fans kick in and keep it in the 80s.

This is warm, but it is within spec, and nothing to worry about.