Yet another network drop issue w/ possible solution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aeneid, Jun 20, 2011.

1. aeneid, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

aeneid macrumors member

So by now everyone knows that MBPs drop internet on certain routers, and etc etc etc...

Okay before you get on my case about not searching, I actually spent quite a few hours at work ( I finished early ) looking for answers but found none. So here goes.:

At home I have a crappy 2wire gateway supplied by att, my mac drops connection from it constantly, but not on other routers, and its been about 6 months and I've had it. At first I wanted to use one of my 2 routers to create a repeater but after learning that it cuts bandwidth in half I scrapped that idea. the second idea i have is to create a wireless client bridge and then run an ethernet cable from that (it will be in my room upstairs, main router downstairs) to my WAP. Here's what i have:

1) WRT54G Version 5 Wireless G Broadband Router with 4 port switch
    2) WRT54G2 Version 1 Wireless G Broadband Router

So again basically install dd-wrt on the 54g and make it a wireless client bridge and then keep the 54g2 stock and connect it with a cable to the 54g and have it as a WAP. Now the 54g2 wouldn't broadcast internet. it would be for myself in the room only. I'm too stingy of an internet person to let my parents use it. I like raw internet. Quick questions, 1) is this possible? 2) i read somewhere that this keeps full bandwidth, is it true? or does it lose speed along the 2 wireless connections? 3) does anyone have a better idea? 4) i also thought about bringing it in to an apple store, playing dumb and saying it drops always, and then maybe have it exchanged, i have warranty still. good idea? but i dont really want to get some crap refurb so thats a no no imho.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! I would like to get this done tonight. This a temporary solution for myself, and possibly for others.
    PS I did bridge the 2wire gateway and made it a modem only and had the 54g2 as the router but that was slow. IDK why. not exactly a networking scientist here. THANKS A BUNCH!

2. stevemiller macrumors 65816

i am no networking guru, and finicky apple wifi is one of the most frustrating things.

i went for several months with constant losses of connectivity at home, and then it magically went away. now its doing it at work and none of the more IT oriented guys have any ideas, i just have to cycle my airport manually on and off every 5-10 minutes.

most often i see recommendations to "just get an airport express" or something, but it doesn't much help at places where you can't control the network setup. and there are several other mac notebooks who connect with no issue, so it just ends up feeling like a crapshoot. :(

anyway, nothing particularly helpful to add i guess, but really hoping someone eventually finda a hidden setting in network preferences that makes all this nonsense go away.

3. aeneid thread starter macrumors member

thanks but, its just at home. my mac doesn't drop anywhere else. its that damn 2wire gateway. its a piece of crap. i want to chuck it out the damn window. please if anyone can help, please do so. i mean im pretty sure what i described will work, i just dont want to do it with out a few people confirming that it will. and also if it will work how much slower will the connection be. i can get 54 mbs on a wired connection and wireless as well as long as its close by. bump please.

4. aeneid thread starter macrumors member

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Well Hopefully someone at least gets that reference... lol. seriously no comments?

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I ignored all your Linksys router stuff, try new DNS settings on your 2wire gateway ... https://store.opendns.com/setup/device/2wire