Yet Another New - Buy Now - Or - Wait - rMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by utopianbl, Oct 1, 2015.

  1. utopianbl macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2010
    #1
    I have a 2010 MBP, which while working great, is due for an upgrade. I have set aside (almost $3500-$4000) to buy the absolute top of the line Macbook Pro on the market. Souped up with 16GB, dedicated video card, 1TB of SSD, turbo charged to 4GHZ, Quad Core etc.

    The question is whether to wait till Skylake (potentially April/May 2016) or buy now.

    Main heavylifting I do

    - Use Aperture/Lightroom for personal Photo editing (have over 6TB of photos and videos, I've taken as a prosumer over the years). And I quite enjoy this more than the generic photos import/edit.
    - Excel - I work in iBanking and use Excel extensively, and have various models (with or without vba) running core sims. While there has been some portability issue with Excel from windows to Mac, I still use use the non-code base models quite a bit
    - Football Manager (game) - the only game I play, ridiculously intense in computing needs

    Apart from that I have a slew of apps running in the background with aide my productivity - Omnifocus, Todoist, itunes, dayone, fantastical calendar, messages etc.

    The general point of this post is to weigh in general opinions of what you would recommend would be best course of action...So your participation is welcome and thanked!
     
  2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #2
    Well if you are happy enough with your current set up then wait. To be honest it mostly won't make a blind bit of difference to you if you buy now or wait with only one exception and that is that the next rMBP is likely to have a better dGPU option. Graphics seem to be important to your workload so it may be worth the wait.
     
  3. pjfan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    Location:
    Columbus OH
    #3
    If you're willing to define your current MBP as "great," then absolutely wait. I suspect you have an SSD in it if you're still so satisfied.

    The next round of updates might have better battery life, and updated graphics as samualsan pointed out. More RAM capacity, maybe larger SSD storage options -- who knows, but worth the wait for someone who's satisfied today.

    Enjoy the rumors until the next update!
     

Share This Page