Yet Another Noob Question For Mac's...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ShawnTXDFW, Jun 13, 2016.

1. ShawnTXDFW macrumors regular

ShawnTXDFW

So, I know this might seem like a terrible question. But, doesn't hurt to ask eh? So, being a noob still, and sitting here playing with my new mac, I was trying to figure out what the black dots under the icons were. When I went and did some reading, it's basically saying it's running. So, I found out about Force Quit. If I use that to close the icons, it will then get rid of the black dot. So, now for the question... If I Force Quit running apps, isn't it the same as like sliding up on the iPhone to get rid of running apps in the background? It's not going to do any harm if I keep quitting these apps is it?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, black dots indicate running/open apps. Better to just use Command-Q (hold ⌘ then hit Q) to quit apps. Force-Quit is a bit heavy handed.

Unlike Windows, just closing the app's window by clicking the red circle doesn't quit the app.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You can quit in the toolbar at the top or using the keyboard shortcut mentioned above or you can right click on the icon and quit, you really only need to force quit if an app is not responding.

4. christ0pher macrumors newbie

I just right click the icon and quit :), force quit's pretty much the ctrl + alt + delete + end process of macs.