Yet another Pro Tools question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Tim Hunt, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Tim Hunt macrumors newbie

I have been using windows for my entire life, i am studying music at university, and have decided to get a Macbook so that i can do both the digital music and composition work without having to be at the university.

The Uni uses Protools, so i will be using it for the sake of compatibility.
    What i need to know is what version of pro tools i will need, and whether or not i will need hardware to go with it.

I will need to be able to edit sound files, create and edit midi files [with or without a midi keyboard, i haven't been able to find out if pro tools allows the use of the mac keyboard as a midi input] and the ability to record basic input, likely from only one audio source [unlikely to be more than a keyboard or a guitar or a microphone].

i have tried searching both google, digidesigns website and this forum but haven't been able to find an answer i could understand, i would appreciate any help.

Thank you

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Protools LE comes with the hardware you need, Digidesign lock you into a hardware programme unfortunately and the app won't run without the hardware attached.

There are a number of options, with different input/output combinations, and there is a version that uses M-audio interfaces (M-Powered).

MIDI is a thorny issue with Protools, it doesn't do it as well as Logic or Neuendo, but you can input midi info directly onto the screen, however, buying one of the M-audio keyboard interfaces might be a better option for you.

Protools M-powered works with this: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioOzone-main.html

and this: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro-main.html if you already have a MIDI keyboard.

You could simply go for the M-box options, but make sure you get one with a midi interface (the standard M-box will do).

Be aware that the current version of LE is not compatible with Leopard, so a new Mac will have some problems till Digi updates the software as they have with the Pro HD systems. This shouldn't be very long in arriving however and the upgrade to the new version will be free for registered users.

Protools will do all of the audio stuff you need to do, but is not the best at handling MIDI as I mentioned.

What Uni are you attending?

3. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

Can anyone recommend any good pro tools instruction videos?

4. Tim Hunt thread starter macrumors newbie

UWS in kingswood. I am going to talk to our digital music lecturer today to see what he thinks. are pro tools files compatible with logic?

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

check out the stuff from Kenny Gioia. there are some sample videos there so you can see if it's for you.

6. zosoaudo007 macrumors member

I purchased an MBOX 2 PRO and ProTools LE, and it came with an instructional DVD in the box. Quite helpful for the new ProTools user.

7. samo1215 macrumors member

Sounds like you need an mbox (not the mini). It will allow you to record 2 channels of audio and has midi inputs and outputs. Digidesign does marry their software to equipment purchases but in this instance you are getting a pretty good deal. You get the same version of PTLE that someone who buys an 003 and anything you record will be compatibility with PTHD.

As for midi work, you do not need a keyboard. PT has tools to draw in midi notes and edit things like velocity and duration. Although midi implementation is not as good as other programs, it has come a long way. If you do purchase a keyboard, any unit with midi outs will work.

Lastly, for videos, your PT should ship with an instructional DVD. I'm pretty sure digidesign has videos on their website and there are certainly websites and probably youtube videos as well. At the end of the day the best way to learn is to grab the manual and just sit down and play with it.

8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

ProTools files are not directly compatible with Logic, i.e. you can't open a PT session directly into Logic, and vice versea, however you can output individual tracks as .aiff or .wav format files and move them between platforms pretty easily.

We do it all the time.

I'm senior lecturer in Music Tech at Thames Valley Uni.

9. Tim Hunt thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to reopen this topic again, but i need to know if i will be able to run pro tools le 7 on a macbook with only 1gb of memory

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=3&langid=100&eid=4727

says that 1gb is the minimum, but will it run acceptably on that, or is that just the amount needed to open the program?