Yet another question about temperatures

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SteneDave, Jul 3, 2011.

1. SteneDave macrumors member

I just tested a few games running on my MBP 15' 2010 Base:
    I have OCed the nVidia 330M from 500/790/1100 to 575/790/1265

Everything tested on Windows 7 64bit with MBP placed on a book in my bed :D

Shift 2: (One race)

OCed - Starting temp: 62° goes upto 87° then the fans kick in to keep it on average 77°

Not OCed - surprisingly exactly the same temperatures, but the 87° held there for a shorter period of time, about 20 seconds less before the fan kicked in

Crysis 2: (Beginning of a mission)

OCed - Starting temp: 56° goes upto 90° then the fans keep it on 79° on average

Not OCed - The top temperature is 90° as well, but holds there about ten seconds less then when oced before the fans kick in

Modern Warfare 2: (Longer session - about two hours playing online)

OCed - Before the fans kick in, it goes upto 86°, the average for a whole match is 77° in lobby goes to 66° and this repeats every match

The temperature of the room is 75-76°F

Logs done with nVidia System Monitor, Driver 275.33 original, OCed with nVidia Performance.

My question is, if this is ok ?:confused: the 90° by Crysis 2 scared me a bit.

What do you think ?

Thx

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

it's fine. You only have to worry when your computer shuts off. And that happens at around 100C. The highest mine has gotten was 94C

3. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

4. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Yeah, 90° would be as high as I go, but even that shouldn't do much harm. The only thing I would worry about is the components around it (capacitors and such) getting too hot, but I don't know much about that, so I don't know if it is something to be worried about.

I know Intel CPUs you can't really fry because they lower their frequency based on the temperature, but I don't know if nVidia GPUs do the same.

Found another thread here. GGJstudios made a good point, your MacBook Pro should shut itself off if it gets too hot. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1071698

5. SteneDave thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, maybe the 90° was achieved because the MBP was not sitting above the ground on its stands, I ll test it further.

Although its weird, that with the base clock the temp went upto 90°...:rolleyes: