Yet another RAM question, kind of

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by galstaph, Aug 13, 2007.

1. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

OK so looking at ram for my soon to get macbook pro, I will be getting 4gb, hell no am I getting it from apple. I will most likely get it out of the USA as it is a wee bit cheaper than from here in Canada (what with our dollar on the rise and near to par:D)
    So ok, my question is this: pc-5300, pc-5400 or pc-6400?
    I've noted that most ddr2 provided for the mbp is pc-5300, but would going to say the pc-6400 be beneficial? I know that the pc-6400 has a higher bus speed, would the latest mbp take advantage of it or is it stuck at 667mhz?:confused:

don't know if it matters much but I'll be running photoshop, bryce, sketchup pro, parallels/vmware (haven't decided which yet) and autocad 2008, form z, revit and office if you would like to know why so much ram

2. Toknee macrumors member

The new MBP's have the SR chipset in them, so do the newer PC laptops. There are a ton of posts out there, where users have installed PC6400 memory and get the faster mem, but the hardware clocks it down to 5300 speeds.

I personally have no first hand knowlege of this. I upgraded my MBP memory to 4GB, but used PC5300 memory.