Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Original poster
China based OPPO is now rumored to be working on an Android Wear round smartwatch, with a special advantage:

It would use OPPO's quick-charge methods to allow it to be ready for a full days' use after only five minutes of charging.

If true, that would make it pretty easy to top it off before heading out for a long night.

2015_oppo.jpg

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
China based OPPO is now rumored to be working on an Android Wear round smartwatch, with a special advantage:

It would use OPPO's quick-charge methods to allow it to be ready for a full days' use after only five minutes of charging.

If true, that would make it pretty easy to top it off before heading out for a long night.

View attachment 533988

Interesting and intriguing. Although I am sure you'll stick to your Dick Tracy calling watch ;)

I wonder how much that feature (alone) would influence sales. I need to truly time my LG G watch to see how long it takes to go from zero to full. It's never been a real issue.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

View attachment 533988

Again it depends on how they define full days use, and how much activity or screen on time will impact that in reality.

I gave up on smart watches myself simply because a number of times i thought I had enough battery - I'd go off for my walk/run/cycle and during which battery gives up and you fail to record anything ....

Until we get to the point of a good few solid days battery life - i'm not interested anymore whether its an apple watch or android wear.

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt, don't miss the device. :)

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
That 5 min charging could be legit since Oppo offered Find 7 series which can go from 0-75% in less than 30 min and full charge in 1 hr. They were the fast phones to recharge from last year.

Still, I am not into smartwatches either just like how quickly Google Glass got forgotten. I have a watch branded by Mercedes Benz bought from Paris ($300) and I barely wear it. A cell phone has pretty much eliminated my use for a watch. It would only have some intrigue if my work is strict and they wouldn't let me carry my phone inside production floor. Then having a smartwatch would be an ok alternative if my phone needs to be put inside a locker.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
google glass shouldn't be compared to a smart watch

I'm all for smart watches as long as they look good, like the Huawei watch.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Again it depends on how they define full days use, and how much activity or screen on time will impact that in reality.

I gave up on smart watches myself simply because a number of times i thought I had enough battery - I'd go off for my walk/run/cycle and during which battery gives up and you fail to record anything ....

Until we get to the point of a good few solid days battery life - i'm not interested anymore whether its an apple watch or android wear.

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt, don't miss the device. :)
Couldn't agree more. I'm yet to come across a smartwatch that doesn't annoy me by running out of charge early evening. One day is just not enough. One and a half days is not enough.

Whilst this fast charging is new, they're focusing on the wrong thing - users will simply prefer better battery life rather than quicker quicker charging time.

At the moment I can walk, run, cycle, and swim as well as get loads of notifications (and tell the time!) on my Vivosmart and only charge it once a week. Until a smartwatch can get at least half that charge time I'm just not interested.

If you're into exercise, they don't do enough and if you're a moderate to heavy user on the tech side, they don't last long enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.