Yet another round watch rumor - Oppo with five minute charging

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by kdarling, Mar 10, 2015.

1. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

China based OPPO is now rumored to be working on an Android Wear round smartwatch, with a special advantage:

It would use OPPO's quick-charge methods to allow it to be ready for a full days' use after only five minutes of charging.

If true, that would make it pretty easy to top it off before heading out for a long night.

2015_oppo.jpg

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Interesting and intriguing. Although I am sure you'll stick to your Dick Tracy calling watch ;)

I wonder how much that feature (alone) would influence sales. I need to truly time my LG G watch to see how long it takes to go from zero to full. It's never been a real issue.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Again it depends on how they define full days use, and how much activity or screen on time will impact that in reality.

I gave up on smart watches myself simply because a number of times i thought I had enough battery - I'd go off for my walk/run/cycle and during which battery gives up and you fail to record anything ....

Until we get to the point of a good few solid days battery life - i'm not interested anymore whether its an apple watch or android wear.

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt, don't miss the device. :)

4. Savor Suspended

Savor

That 5 min charging could be legit since Oppo offered Find 7 series which can go from 0-75% in less than 30 min and full charge in 1 hr. They were the fast phones to recharge from last year.

Still, I am not into smartwatches either just like how quickly Google Glass got forgotten. I have a watch branded by Mercedes Benz bought from Paris ($300) and I barely wear it. A cell phone has pretty much eliminated my use for a watch. It would only have some intrigue if my work is strict and they wouldn't let me carry my phone inside production floor. Then having a smartwatch would be an ok alternative if my phone needs to be put inside a locker.

5. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

google glass shouldn't be compared to a smart watch

I'm all for smart watches as long as they look good, like the Huawei watch.

6. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Couldn't agree more. I'm yet to come across a smartwatch that doesn't annoy me by running out of charge early evening. One day is just not enough. One and a half days is not enough.

Whilst this fast charging is new, they're focusing on the wrong thing - users will simply prefer better battery life rather than quicker quicker charging time.

At the moment I can walk, run, cycle, and swim as well as get loads of notifications (and tell the time!) on my Vivosmart and only charge it once a week. Until a smartwatch can get at least half that charge time I'm just not interested.

If you're into exercise, they don't do enough and if you're a moderate to heavy user on the tech side, they don't last long enough.