Yet another scammer... But how?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by taptic, Jul 28, 2014.

1. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

So I found yet another scam on Craigslist. A guy claiming he had an apple partnership and needed to sell some overstock of iPhone 5s in bulk. Toying with him, I asked how much it was per item. He said $400 and I got him down to $125. At this point there was no doubt in my mind that it was a scam and he wanted me to give him the cash and he would get them sent to me. I wouldn't be able to look at them because they ship directly from Apple... Or so he said (would that even be true?). Anyway, I tried getting him to say he would work through a secure system like PayPal and sure enough he backed out. How however, he got back to me saying he was willing to do the transaction through squareup. This caught me by surprise. I don't know much about squareup, but I think there are ways for a buyer to dispute transactions. I asked him to if he would send me a sample for $50 wondering if he would quit at such an insanely low figure, but he said that in hopes of continuing with a larger order, that would be okay and that he would send me an invoice.

Now that you've read my novel, how could he get around a squareup dispute? again, I don't know a ton about squareup...

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Chances are even if it's $50 it's still $50 that that guy would be making on basically nothing so it's not a bad deal for him.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Just walk away as you know it is a scam. You are more worried about the money, where you need to think about what this low life will mail you.

Never heard of squareup and don't want too!

Do not let GREED rule what you do as it will bite you every time.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Step away, don't mess with a sale that you know (or feel) that its a scam.

The only people who get ahead with these things are the scammers.

5. 617aircav Suspended

Even going through paypay he can still scam you. only a complete moron would fall for this.

6. MioPomo macrumors member

Perhaps he has a stollen credit cards information that he uses to buy the phones, ships to people like you so nothing comes to his address, and he gets his money out of it from you, even if it seems insanely low compared to the value should be for what you are receiving.

7. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Why even bother wasting your time
    Report it and move on

8. itjw macrumors 65816

If you send me $1000 via squareup I'll show you how the scam works. I'll even send you an empty box! Who knows, maybe you'll even get your money back!? AND a free box!!! You'd be stupid NOT to do it!

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Not even a gulliCALF would be stupid enough to believe that this could possibly be real, yet here we are.

Riddle me this one Batman: When was the last time you heard of someone playing along in one of these scams and having it end well? And by well, I don't mean having to fight for weeks just to get the money they originally had BACK, I mean well as in getting ANYTHING in return for the hassle?

That's right, it starts with an N and ends with an EVER.

9. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Just curious what a gulliCALF is. A gullible calf or something?

10. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

He is actually a Nigerian Prince who is a millionaire and needs some money to get back and open his safe deposit box

11. 617aircav Suspended

yeah but who would pay in advance without getting possession of the product. I bet there are no products available.

12. taptic, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014

taptic thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

Wow... You guys need to chillax. I'm not falling for anything. The fact that I asked how it worked only means I'm wondering just that- not that I'm thinking of going ahead with a deal or anything... If you think I'm wasting your time by asking, there's no need for you to pay attention to this thread at all.

I only wondered because it seems like a situation where his $50 could easily be taken from him, so I wondered if there was something about squareup that made it unsafe... But since that seems much more difficult to answer than just calling me a gullicalf or whatever it was, nevermind... :rolleyes:

13. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

This reminded me right away of some of the 419 Nigerian scams. The scambusters put a lot of effort to make a complete idiot out of these scammers:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nig...ASU9IHYDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=558

Now all you have to do is figure out a way to get this jerk to send you a picture of the merchandise with a silly incriminating note or dumb self portrait. :) That should give you some self-satisfaction.

Great job in toying with this fool.

14. aidenh37 macrumors regular

15. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Save your allowance like the rest of us and get it from Apple. :p

16. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

Okay am I the only one laughing at someone who is selling on "Craigslist" because they are working with "Apple" to get rid of overstock? lol I remember a few years ago at an Apple store seeing refurbish or open box stock on sale near the cash register. I can't see them giving it to someone to sell on Craigslist. :roll eyes:

Square up is just another name for the Square device. You can enter the cc number or swipe it.

https://squareup.com

17. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I am giving away 400 brand new iphones because the shrink wrap has been torn so THEY. CAN. NOT. BE. SOLD.!!!!

18. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

Good luck getting an answer. I swear most posters here just scan a post for keywords and respond accordingly.

To offer you at least something, it may not be something inherently unsafe with Squareup, the scammer may just have access to a specific Squareup account that he thinks he can abuse. e.g. a current or former employer.

19. taptic thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

The only point you made there was that, like the poster quoted beneath pointed out, many members on here very rarely read the whole thread like they should.

Thank you :)