Yet another: should I buy now or wait for update question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rscott505, Sep 24, 2008.

  1. rscott505 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #1
    Sorry for posting this as I know this is a tired issue, but I am considering buying a new macbook pro now as opposed to waiting for the upgrade hopefully due on the 14th.

    Here are my concerns. I am interested in a new macbook pro, and know I will get one within the next year. My two main reasons are hard drive space, and I like new computers. (Pretty lame reasons, I know, but I will give my wife my current macbook pro and keep as a spare her ibook G4to let the kids play on it.)

    My current macbook pro is the original one from nearly 3 years ago with the 2 GHz core duo chip, and a 100 GB hard drive. Also 1 GB of RAM. I have about 7 months left on Applecare.

    Here's the thing. I really love the form of the macbook pro. The size is perfect for me, and I really appreciate its overall feel. The screen brightness is great. I just love it. However, my biggest concern is that I'm running out of hard drive space. I take a lot of pictures and like to keep my whole library on the computer rather than only part of it. I do a lot of work with my photos, and often need the whole library at my fingertips, even on the road. (I just don't like having the library on an external drive, especially since I carry an external drive for backup on Time Machine.)

    From playing around in the Apple store, the current macbook pros that I would purchase seem extremely fast, and I would upgrade the hard drive size and RAM (RAM from 3rd party vendors). This would give me an extremely spacious hard drive and a fast laptop. On top of the that there is an upgrade in the screen quality.

    If I wait, I don't know what feature set I will give up. My assumption is that the basic specs will increase for the same price. Thus making sense for me to wait. My concerns, however, about any new macbook pro are as follows. The form. As I mentioned, I really love the form of the current macbook pro. I am concerned about any change in the form and size. I don't want anything larger than the 15 inches or smaller. Also, I worry about whether the screen will only be offered in glossy. As I mentioned, I have a lot of photographs on my macbook pro, and edit quite a bit. The glossy screen is not for photo editing. Plus, I just don't like the look.

    From what I hear on rumor sites, I am not interested in a glass touch pad or blue ray.

    Also, I am concerned about buying the first run of a new product. My macbook pro had some of the typical problems that others had when it first came out. Heat and the whine sound. So, I believe, maybe wrongly, that any current macbook pro won't have new and/or production issues to sort out like the next generation macbook pro. This ways in favor of getting one now.

    So, with all that in mind, I'm just curious as to other people's thoughts about whether to take the splurge simply for more hard drive space and a faster computer.

    Thanks in advance.
     
  2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

    hogfaninga

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2008
    Location:
    Chestnut Tree Cafe
  3. amac4me macrumors 65816

    amac4me

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    #4
    If you've waited this long, what's another couple of weeks?
     
  4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

    andiwm2003

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #5
    if HD space is a major concern to you then wait for a few weeks and see if the new MBP's have a easy to replace HD. If you don't like the new MBP's buy a refurb MBP and save money.
    If you like the new design wait for 6 weeks till they iron out the revision A problems and buy then.

    and there are 73700 hits now.
     
  5. isethx macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2008
    #6
    right now i'm running a dell dimension 8400 2.8 P4 512 mb RAM. while i WANT a new macbook pro now... i don't NEED it... so i am waiting. if you are going to get one within the net year as you say you might as well wait
     
  6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #7
    Wait, buy, or quit complaining. Nothing against you at all. This goes for everyone: Shut up about the updates. You either wait and get the new kick-awesome one or wait and get the current one for less money. Either way you win.
     
  7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

    SchneiderMan

    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    Location:
    Apple state
    #8
    yeah im in for the new kickass awesome one :D
     
  8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

    mobilehaathi

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2008
    Location:
    The Anthropocene
    #9
  9. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

    QuantumLo0p

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2006
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #10
    Pick one:

    1) If you need it right now then buy it now.

    2) If you don't have an immediate need then choose from the following:
    a) Buy whenever you are ready.
    b) If the product is due for a refresh then wait for the new stuff.

    There you go! Happy computing.
     
  10. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

    QuantumLo0p

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2006
    Location:
    U.S.A.
  11. Tingaling macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2008
    #12
    The glass mouspad (if it happens) and blu ray will most likely be optional upgrades, so there is no point not to wait for the new ones. You still have 7 months left of applecare, why not just wait it out until the new line comes out? There's always ebay if it doesn't turn out well
     

Share This Page