Yet another spilling thread. :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MadDog31, Jun 12, 2008.

1. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

Someone at work the other day had to use my computer to do some Photoshop work because nobody else's had it...fine. I come back from errands, the computer is still going strong. The girl using my computer asks me how to do something so I walk over and bump her half-full Gatorade bottle onto the right side of my keyboard. It wasn't a lot spilled, but it was enough to scare me. I immediately powered down, disconnected the AC, and took out the battery and let it drain. Everything seemed successful...let it sit a long time, it dried out, and everything works fine inside the computer...except the keyboard backlight. :(

I want to open it up and clean it out and make sure nothing got onto the logic board or connectors as the Gatorade I'm sure would love to wreak havoc on it. I guess I'll need a new keyboard...I've found instructions on ifixit which appear "somewhat" simple enough. If I replace the keyboard (which is sticky as it is), will doing so also replace the backlighting unit?

This is so embarrassing and frustrating. This is why I don't let people use my computer, and to have an open bottle next to it is something I'd NEVER do. It's totally my fault for bumping it, but dammit...this is why people aren't allowed to use my stuff.

Any suggestions or comments (besides the obvious 'you're a dumbass' ones)?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You're a d... j/k.

Looks like you killed the backlight on half the keyboard obviously; I had friend who spill orange juice; I cleaned out his keyboard the top case, so the welds don't rust.

That said the only fix it to get a new keyboard.... ;)

I have one selling in the market place

3. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Sorry to hear of your spill.

But, perhaps this guy will be able to help you out. He just posted a keyboard for sale in the Marketplace here on Mac Rumors (just minutes ago).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5588855#post5588855

If it will work with your system, then perhaps you can strike a deal with him.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Look on the bright side: at least your keyboard got only half the calories and sodium it would have if you had spilled Red Bull! :D

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.... I'd see if maybe someone at the Genius Bar could look at it.

It's because of things like this I have 3 unbreakable rules: you can't borrow my wife, my Harley or my Mac! (yes, in that order!)

I hope it works out for you!

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's mine... :rolleyes:

LOL I posted it couple days ago, but I got rid of the price today.

6. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response everyone. I think I'm going to have to look into a keyboard unit...I take it any MBP keyboard (recent one) would work and I can just swap keys to get the ones to match up w/ the Penryns?

I found a keyboard on mac-pro.com that's pretty affordable ($67.00). I may contact this other seller on here also. I want to take it apart tonight though to do some cleaning...I know the citric acid that's in Gatorade can't be too good on the connections, etc. I was told to use some rubbing alcohol and a lint-free towel...

I appreciate the support on here a lot...I'm an Apple switcher and it's good to see there's a good community that comes with an Apple...what an added bonus! :)

7. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice...haha...are the keys easily swappable on these keyboards? I heard if you lift up on the upper-left and slide to the bottom-left you're good to go...

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Can't swap the keyboard buttons; the older keyboard is wired differently and the keys do different think; I don't even know if the older keyboard works on the new Peryn machines.

9. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I figured.

I took this thing apart and looked around...luckily none of the juice got past the "tray" on the upper piece under the keyboard and whatever got into the speaker was dry, clean, and not sticky at all. Just the keyboard and backlight is the problem.

It looks like Apple will be getting a call. Dammit. But it is what it is, learned my lesson:

DON'T LET OTHERS USE MY COMPUTER. Even though I bumped the bottle, had I been sitting there or had seen what was sitting there in the first place, that never would have happened b/c I would have demanded the bottle be moved.

Life's lessons. :-\ Any idea on what kind of cost I'm facing for a new keyboard/backlight unit?

10. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Lot$$$, unless you get an authorized retail (read: not actually apple) to do it because chances are Apple will demand that they replace everything (whole bottom casing at least)

11. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How long does it usually take for OEM keyboards to get out on the market so I can buy one and replace it myself?

12. Coprolite macrumors member

I know this isn't quite the same, but I took my 2 year old MB in to the local Apple store, as the battery was acting wonky. It didn't qualify for the CD MB battery recall, but when i showed them a little crack on the palm rest, they replaced the whole keyboard, palm rest and trackpad assembly for free! This is a MB that I purchased in Thailand and the Apple store is in NY. No Applecare or anything. One of the staff even gave me a US style plug/cable to go with my power adapter. Great service.

If you have a local Apple store, I would at least take it in for a quick once over first. If you have a way to avoid voiding warranties that is the best course of action. It may even be free!

A side note...my next Mac(MBP) may also include Applecare, as the battery problem would have been covered. This was the first "problem" I had with any of my Macs (since 2005), not counting the Mac IISE, as I can barely remember that one...