Yet Another SSD thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JES, Jun 6, 2010.

1. JES macrumors member

Hi All,

I've been reading up on SSD drives and have some questions. My plan is to buy a drive (probably OWC since they're so well reviews) and install it in my laptop along with my old HDD in an Optibay. Maybe in a year I'll move it to a desktop if I get a new Mac Pro when I'm done traveling around.

My questions:

1. I am trying to figure out the optimal size to get. Regular HDDs perform best when they aren't close to full. Is this also true with an SSD?

2. I use the laptop both for office-type application (Word Processing, Email, websurfing, etc) and audio recording and mixing. I understand that I would record audio onto the HDD and keep my sample libraries there, along with all my photos, movies, iTunes library, etc. The OS and Applications and Library need to live on the SSD. But in terms of performance in everyday office computing, would it be better to keep my word documents and email "personalities" (MS Office's stupid word, not mine) on the SSD? What else goes on the SSD?

3. Besides startup and application launching, what other advantages are there to having an SSD in everyday use?

4. With the OWC, is there any kind of special maintenance that I would need to do that I wouldn't with a regular HDD?

5. Will I still see an improved battery life and less heat if I have a second HDD in there? I am considering the WD Scorpio Blue 750 (I currently have a since 500g Scorpio Blue with 362gb on it).

Thank you.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Yes. 80GB is more than fine for just OS and apps

2. No. Files like Word documents are so small so opening them takes only a nanosecond when they are in the HD. You would need a nanosecond watch to see the difference.

3. Noiseless, life expectancy, shock resistance, power consumption etc...

4. You may have to update its firmware but that isn't very often

5. Not really as the SuperDrive is usually not in use but now the SSD and HD both are so maybe even decreased battery life.