iPad mini Yet another thing to love about my Mini!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tikatika, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I have had this treasure since Christmas and love it more every day...much much more than my iPad 3 for on-the-go. But, another reason arose when my husband was admitted to the hospital yesterday with pneumonia. What a gift it is to be able stick the Mini in my bag and off I go to be with him without carrying the big, cumbersome and HOT iPad. Love it!

2. Powrie macrumors 6502

Gee I hope your husband gets well, but at least you have a Mini so everythings A-OK.

3. waa1futs macrumors 6502

Hope your husband gets better soon.

And make sure he's not on the iPad so much that he's not using his incentive spirometer as much as he should! ;)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Hope your husband gets well soon!

And I do enjoy the portability of the iPad mini compared to its big brother. With some of my bigger winter jackets, I find I can fit the iPad mini into my pocket.

5. Tikatika thread starter macrumors 6502

Tikatika

Powrie, I agree that I did sound rather flippant and for that I do apologize. We are using the Mini to FaceTime with our kids who are in different states. It is so much easier to hold and I should have conveyed that. I was just trying to find a positive in a sad situation.

Thank you everyone for all the well wishes. This pneumonia is a complication of my husband's Parkinson's Disease, a fate I truly wish on no one :(

6. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

oh JC, not this again...................

7. erichess22 macrumors regular

I do enjoy the size of the mini more than my full size as well. So much more portable and I'm on the go a lot. Works out well. :)

8. donnaw macrumors 65816

I had to have an appendectomy last summer and my gallbladder out a couple of months later. Having spent several days in the hospital (the first one was out of town and for 5 days) I can fully agree. An iPad (mini or otherwise) can be a real benefit. Especially for keeping family up-to-date. FaceTime is better than phone calls for everyone.

I hope your hisband gets well soon. Sometimes it's harder on our loved ones when we're sick than on ourselves. Take care and best wishes!

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Hopefully your hubby gets better, but the size of the mini certainly makes it more useful in those situations - at least imo

10. AppleRobert macrumors 603

And the beat goes on. You can dismiss it if you like but I bet there are more 3rd gens that run hot than not!

Like to do a poll? Thought not! And no, most don't keep the brightness at 100%.

More fire? Apple took them off the market! :)

11. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

what does that statement even mean???

i already told you that the iPad 3 runs warmer when under heavy load and high brightness compared to the iPad 2. the iPad 3's that were running at 110F were clearly defective. i've put mine through it's paces and i can only get it to run warm at best. i had an iPad 4 as well and it got just as warm.

at this point - i'm not sure what you're still crusading about. give up and move onto something else. this is March 2013, not March 2012

12. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I have to agree with the other comments here. I wish your husband all the very best, as my father in law recently got out of hospital after a bout of pneumonia and is still nowhere near full health.

However, being able to fit an iPad mini into a bag and making off the cuff (and in-factual) comments about the iPad 3 (mine never gets hot but then I never use it at 100% brightness) would be the furthest from my mind.

13. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

First off, best of luck to your husband and a speedy recovery!

As to the heat issue, my iPad 4 never gets what I call hot. It gets warm, but never hot. I leave it at 100% brightness and play demanding games like Real Racing 3 on it, and it doesn't get unreasonably warm.

14. LightOnAHill macrumors regular

Psychologically, when a lot is out of control of a person and not going well, they can find solace in the simple things that they can control and are convenient. Fitting the mini in a handbag may have been the one thing that worked out in a day when lots else was going bad...

Of course you know about you and as you said such would be the furthest from your mind but we are all different and I consider both yours and the OPs reactions to difficult scenarios appropriate and rational, which I think runs contrary to your unwritten conclusion after that word "however."

;)

15. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I agree with you on iPad 3s running hot...I had one that the battery lasted maybe 9-10 hrs and got hot (ie. defective) and another that ran cool but the battery lasted a good 13-16 hrs!

16. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

My 3rd Gen has never gone past lukewarm and I see them being sold on the refurb section of Apples site quite regularly.

17. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Well, you compared it to the 3rd gen. The only gen Apple put out of the Market in 6 months.

18. nebrot macrumors regular

nebrot

Enjoy your mini, I love mine as well and use it daily :apple: