Yet another third party band thread

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by skimcpip, Apr 18, 2015.

1. skimcpip macrumors regular

Has anyone seen any bands made by any companies we've actually heard of instead of shady Amazon sellers nobody knows or speculative kickstarters? I'm surprised that Belkin, Case-Mate and others aren't offering bands.

2. sam2428 macrumors 6502

Been wondering and searching for the same....

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

There will probably be some once they have the watch. You can make cases using just dimensions, but the locking mechanism needs to be seen physically I think.

4. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

I'd be expecting bands made by non-tech companies... like Coach, Michael Kors, Fossil, and other companies that sell watches but are leather/fashion companies.

5. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Not a fan of kickstarters at the moment, but the cheap knock-off bands are pretty risk free, especially if you only used "fulfilled by Amazon" vendors. And yeah, I expect it'll be a short while before known vendors assess demand and ramp up production.

6. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I wonder how Amazon let some of these ppl sell through their site without first verifying whether these ppl are legit. Mycell is one of the vendors that comes to mind. They have stock pictures of the bands on Amazon. And I can imagine many ppl will be filing complaints once they realize that what they get in the mail is not what is pictured.

7. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

I'm guessing the fact that Apple's click in system for their bands is patented is a reason that no known companies have announced anything. These Kickstarter companies could be in for a rude awakening.

8. simsdaniel macrumors regular

I've been looking out for big name brands bringing out bands also.

Definitely not buying anything from KickStarter, way to many stories of people never getting their products or getting them VERY late. I severely lack patience.

9. adambird macrumors 6502

This is my worry! I asked about third party bands during my try on and the guy said the only thing that would prevent this is if Apple had a patent on click in function. It wouldn't surprise me and would explain why all the bands are super expensive.

10. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I noticed the "click" kickstarter website is actually updated to say that they now have funding to start orders. You can now preorder the click adapter for $35 and bands for like $15.

But I am still wary of them, they state the items would ship in June. So it makes me think they are trying to get their hands on a watch to make sure the adapter, and bands work. But I'm tempted to try them.

11. skimcpip thread starter macrumors regular

I forget which Apple Watch review I read this in but one of the reviewers wrote that Apple would not object to third party bands.

EDIT: it was the Verge's review. http://www.theverge.com/a/apple-watch-review
    "It’s a fairly simple system, so expect to see tons of third-party Watch bands; Apple says it has no problem with that."

12. respectabilia macrumors regular

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Makes sense considering that they're allowing third party smartcovers for the iPad.

14. sdallnct2 macrumors regular

Today I went to the mall and exchanged my black leather loop for blue and walking back, as I walked by the Brighton store, had the thought that the next "evolution" of 3rd party bands will come from designers/designer stores. Stores like Brighton, Express, Michael Kors and possibly even like American Eagle, etc.

These will likely be made for them by an established company (like Fossil makes a lot of designer watches like Michael Kors). But they will be fashionable and have good warranties, etc.

There are well respected watch band/accessories stores and sites already out there. They make excellent bands that are currently used on high end watches. These are beautiful and functional bands like leather, skins (lizard, etc), rubber (dive watches), nylon (NATO straps) and quality metal/link bands (most well under the cost, while better quality than current Apple band offerings). I can't imagine it will be long before they offer at least their most popular bands with "Apple Watch adapters".

There have already been reports of designer watch sales from Michael Kors (and others) being down. My bet on these fashion brands that watches don' make a majority of their sales (but are significant and help the brand) will just also jump on the Apple Watch band, band wagon (pun intended).

I think the more interesting prospect will be how soon true watch makers offer accessories/bands for Apple Watch. For example, can you just imagine some of the Tag Heuer bands being available for Apple Watch? They are all so damn awesome,

http://us.tagheuer.com/en/tag-heuer-carrera/tag-heuer-carrera-models

15. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Tag is making there own android wear watch, so I doubt they will ever offer their straps for the Apple watch. They do look great though.