Yet another upgrade swap question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pthree, Nov 13, 2010.

1. pthree macrumors newbie

I haven't been able to find an answer to my exact problem, so forgive me for presenting another upgrade swap scenario/question:

I already have an iPhone (3G). I am perfectly happy with this phone. My husband wants an iPhone but won't be eligible until Jan. 2012 - yeesh. He currently has a really cruddy phone that I have no interest in using.

Can I upgrade to the iPhone 4, swap phones with him, and then swap back so that I still have my original phone? All of the scenarios I see have the swapper using the other person's phone. If this is possible, will my grandfathered data plan still be available, or will I have to get the $15 plan?

Sorry if this is, in fact, a double (quadruple-million?) post, I just trust customers more than staff and wanted an answer.

2. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

Yes you can upgrade your phone and just give the iphone 4 to your husband. When you receive the iphone 4, just take the SIM out of the iphone and install the SIM from his phone. Your phone won't be affected in any way by doing this.

And your data plan won't be affected by the upgrade. You will still be "grandfathered in" when you upgrade to the new phone.

I know this works because I have done this a few times with my family's phones.

Good Luck :)

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You can do the upgrade swap, but you can't do it by switching SIMs. The iPhone 4 and the 3G have different SIM cards in them. You have to call AT&T, and they can do the swap over the phone. You have to give them the IMEI number from the new phone and they can swap accounts like that. I did it with a 3G and the 4 when it came out. They did let me keep the unlimited data plan on both accounts.

4. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

Oh that's right.. I forgot about that. Thanks for pointing that out Moyank :)