Yet another used Mac pro question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rdsii64, Apr 16, 2013.

1. rdsii64 macrumors regular

First I will say that the previous generation 24/27 inch imac has more than enough computational horse power for what I do. My sole interest in the Mac Pro is in its expandability and upgradability. I recently ran across two used 8 core mac pro's for just under $700.00 US. To me this sounds like an almost steel. My first question is the obvious one. Will a mid 2008 Mac Pro (MA970LL/A or MA765LL/A) run mountain lion? Next, if they will run mountain lion, what is a reasonable price.

I ask it knowing that if I get one I will have to upgrade the ram, HD and install a blu ray burner so the total price out of pocket will be more than the current sale price.

2. rdsii64 thread starter macrumors regular

I get to answer my own post. Yes if you can find an 8 core 3.1 for that price that is in proper working order and doesn't have a damaged case, 700.00 US is a good price. Bear in mind who the seller is and DO YOUR HOMEWORK. there are a lot of shady situations out there on the used market. If its sounds to good to be true IT IS.
    I got mine from a reputable reseller and it runs like a boss.

3. Omnius macrumors 6502a

It's not a steal but depending on the hardware, it sounds like a decent price. Generally though, we will all advise looking for 2009 or newer because 2008 and older have expensive ram.