Yet another vmware question before install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Saladsamurai, May 16, 2010.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

I have been searching around and I am still unclear on how smoothly I will be able to access files from Windows/OSX. Let me explain what I picture myself being able to do, and perhaps someone will be able to say whether/how it is possible:

I plan to run Boot Camp inside of Fusion so that I have the option to dual boot for performance. So I plan on using very little HD space for the Boot Camp (BC) partition. I picture myself using OSX and then saying 'hey, I need to do some stuff in windows' and opening the VM. I will use MATLAB or something and then save my MATLAB file (m-file). I would like to be able to save it on the OSX partition and not use up the BC space as will be reserving that space for working directories and such. Is that possible?

Now let's say that MATLAB is running too slow in the VM, I would reboot to BC. Now, how do I access my m-file that is saved to the OSX partition (presuming that I don't want to move it over to BC before rebooting (if that is even possible)) ? Can I access it from BC?

What kind of solutions are you folks coming up with (namely you balamw since I know that you run the same engineering softwares I do).

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I manage my MATLAB codebase with subversion to keep it in sync between multiple machines. While in a VM you access your OS X files as if they were on a network server. And, in Boot Camp, Boot Camp 3.x provides drivers for read only access to the OS X partition wile booted to BC, so you can access your files easily, but you can't modify them in BC unless you copy them to your BC partition.

I'm not a fan of MacDrive or other tools that let you write to your HFS+ partition, and I find dedicating 20-25% of my HDD drive better than trying to keep the partition as small as possible. I prefer using network shares as a way of sharing info between OSes.

B

3. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your input B. I guess it will just take some tinkering to get this. I am going to probably install tomorrow. I'm sure the forums will be hearing a lot more from me after the install!

Thanks again :)

~Casey