yet another "what should I buy" thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by miketheg, Mar 3, 2011.

1. miketheg macrumors newbie

I'm not exactly a power user; all my gaming is done via my 360, so my only use for a computer is internet/music/video, with the occasional work-related foray into Microsoft Office. I was planning on getting the base 11-inch Air, but now my wandering eye has been caught by the iPad2. Is it realistic to think that, for my uses, the iPad2 could actually serve as a computer replacement? Or is it my brain being distracted by the shiny new thing?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MBA is a full computer while iPad is a much more limited machine. iPad lacks a physical keyboard so if you're going to type a lot, then iPad is not for you. IMO iPad nor any tablet can replace a laptop. They are nice gadgets but a laptop is still a laptop. It might be useful to know your current setup though.

3. iLucas macrumors 6502

I agree with this.
    If you're using Office a lot, the MBA would be the much better choice.

4. miketheg thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgot to mention that. I'm currently using (if it can be called 'using') a 3 year old dell xps that takes 30 minutes to turn on, and requires the screen to be at just the right angle or it all turns green. Needless to say, whatever I get will be a significant upgrade.

5. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah, if it is going to be your main/only machine, I would definitely go for the MacBook Air. The iPad is great but only as a supplementary to a mac or pc. [​IMG]

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Then I would get the MBA. You would anyway need a working computer for iPad because of iTunes. If you already had a decent computer (e.g. older MBP), then it might make more sense to get an iPad but if the thing you buy will be your main computer, then definitely MBA.