YET ANOTHER which camera do I buy thread? Spare a moment to help, please!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Davmeister, May 26, 2009.

1. Davmeister macrumors 6502

Davmeister

Hi there, I'll make this quick!

Today my Dad is buying a new camcorder, the old Sony one which recorded to tapes broke, boo-hoo. It was horrible.

We want one which:

1. Is easily editable, in that I can plug it into my Mac, open iMovie and easily drag around files, preferably like you do with a point and shoot .mov/.mpg files etc.

2. Is 720p HD or very good quality otherwise--we don't have an HD TV or anything, but friends do, and we may do sometimes, so it would be nice if it was future proof in that respect.

3. Is good at what it does! I.e. has image stabilisation, good aspect ratio, good optical zoom, long battery life.

4. Relatively inexpensive--~£500 is nice.

So I'm thinking SD/Memory stick camcorder? So easy to just unplug and put into the computer. It's much like a point and shoot digital camera, which we are all used to, none of this attatch by firewire etc. Thats not to say we don't mind doing that.

Summary is we want an easy to use, compatible with mac/'universal' file format, preferable upgradable/swappable (and if not large) recording destination, with sound features and recommended by many.

Much appreciated! He's going in about 3 hours to the shop, so a reply ASAP is nice. I'm online all day to reply!

Thanks very much in advance

Tom
    :)

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Go for one of those canons. many forum members are happy with them.
    iMovie imports AVCHD just fine. When you're at the shop, buy an external hard drive too. When iMovie imports the footage, it converts them to AIC which is much bigger. And the hard drives are getting cheaper each day.