Yet another "which MBP should I get" thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZachsMacDaddy, Jun 20, 2012.

1. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

I've been reading the various "which MBP should I get" threads for the past week+ and I still can't make up my mind.

I am torn between:
    2012 13" MBP i5
    2011 13" MBP i5 (refurb)
    2011 13" MBP i7 (refurb)
    2011 15.4" MPB 2.2 i7 (refurb)

The 2012 would give me the latest tech with Ivy Bridge and USB 3.0 and with my company's employee discount I can get it for a tiny bit cheaper than the 2011 13" i7 (refurb). The 2011 15.4" would give me quad core processing, more power.

Most of the time I just use my current MBP (2008 Unibody MB) for web, email, office, some VM work, and some occasional video work. However, ever since I got my new camera last fall that can do 1080 video, I have had some issues with importing the videos on my MB. Some videos import fine, but the longer ones sometimes error out. I've been taking more and more video, and I want to be able to use it on my laptop.

A big advantage of the 13" options is that I can use the money I save vs the 15.4" to put towards upgrading the memory and even an SSD. I can also use my existing sleeve cases and spare power adapters that I would have to replace if I go to the 15.4".

I'm not considering the MBA because I prefer the upgradeability of the classic MBP line. I want the ability to go to 16GB of ram and a wider choice of SSD and HDD options. My laptop is my primary computer.

Any advice? Opinions?

Thank you

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i would go with the 15.4" just for the quad core, the 13 can handle most video editing but if you considering 15.4" i would go with it.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

i'm also on a 2008 aluminum macbook (with upgraded 8 gb of ram).

do you use an external monitor at all? that would pretty much negate any difference in screen size of the 13" vs 15".

as for video, it sounds like your issues importing 1080p video has nothing to do with the hardware on your 2008 macbook. i import 1080p video just fine into the same machine.

i suppose it comes down how intense you actually edit video. theres the simplified adding titles/headlines/cutting vs actual rendering of effects which generally take much longer and require more horsepower.

4. ZachsMacDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Perhaps it's the format of the video from the camera, a Sony DSC-HX9V.

I do more simple import, cut and add titles. Nothing advanced. Just home video types of things.

I have a 23" 1080p monitor with HDMI connection. The 15.4" is being considered more for the power than the screen real estate.

5. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i'd always chose a 2011 "15 over a 2012 "13, because theres a GPU in the "15.

6. stevelam macrumors 65816

i guess theres no real reason to get the 13" then. go for the 15"!

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

exactly,

OP its not like you set on the 13 and where all trying to convice you too get the 15 instead, the 15 is one of your own choices, always get the best of your own choices, i understand not being upsold on what you really wanted but if your fine with the extra wieght and size of the 15 its a no brainer

8. icewing macrumors 6502

I got the 15.4, 2.6 with standard 8 gig and 750 gig hard drive. This thing screams, and has a lot of real estate. Later on I'm planning on upgrading to an SSD, but at this point both the HD and 8 gig of ram more than suit my needs.

Good luck!

9. ZachsMacDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Yes, the 15.4 is definitely one that I listed as an option. It appears the overwhelming majority thinks that's the way to go. If I want to go for another 3.5 years or longer it makes sense to have lots of power now to last the long haul.

Here's a question for those of you with the 15.4" models - what kind of heat and fan noise do you get with that model? My 2008 MB is quiet until I do certain things, like import video or run any flash content. But, even then the fans at 6000+ RPM aren't really all that loud.

Newegg has a 16GB kit on sale today as a shellshocker for $79.99 too, in case anyone is looking to upgrade their MBP. At that price it's easy to up the RAM now.