Yet Another "Why I Need a Mac Pro But Still Waiting" Thread - New Developments for Me

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by astrostu, Oct 21, 2007.

1. astrostu macrumors 6502

Grawer. My desktop is the biege "Digital Audio" model back from Spring 2001. And today I encountered YET ANOTHER reason why I need a new mac pro and why Apple needs to get off their butts and release updates.

To start, this is a 733 MHz model that doesn't allow internal hard drives above 120 GB and has a 1.5 GB RAM limit. Two years ago I updated the processor to 1.6 GHz.

The first problem was during a power outage in Spring '06 (or maybe '07 ... doesn't really matter). It shorted out the fan in the PSU, causing the computer to thermally overheat and shut down after 5 minutes of being on. The fix was that I bought a CPU fan and literally taped it to the back of the tower with packing tape in a way to draw the hot air out of the computer.

The latest problem is that since 2004, I've suffered 1 hard drive death per year, generally between August and December. My spare internal drive was the next to go, and it died last weekend - luckily I've been backing up weekly. I was at a conference this week so didn't get to replacing it 'til today.

The problem is that last time I did hard drive maintenance, I must've screwed in the screws too hard - I can't get them out!! When the screw driver does turn, it just strips the screws. And I really don't want to drill them out. So at the moment, I have the case sitting open with a spare internal drive sorta standing in a vertical position because it won't fit elsewhere because my hard drive ribbon is too short.

I think it's mildly humorous the lengths I'm going to to prolong the life of this machine, but it's really getting to the point - combined with $3k I've saved over the last 15 months for a new Mac Pro - where Apple needs to update their Mac Pro offerings so I can get a new one!!!

Sorry - I just needed to rant and I figured this would be a good place.

P.S. - Yes, I do actually "need" a Mac Pro with 4 or 8 cores. I do a lot of heavy coding for my research that requires reading large data sets and manipulating them. I also do a lot of digital photography (just got back from a trip where I took ~500 photos in 24 hrs, many of them ~15 shots that need to be stitched together into a panorama ... and these are 8 Mpx shots that I work with in TIFF at 16 bit) so need the storage space, speed, and RAM expandability. In addition to normal, every-day stuff. And as I've posted here before, I have no desire to pay 2006 prices for 2006 hardware in 2007, especially when an update to the lineup should be so soon.

P.P.S. - The machine I plan on getting is the middle processor configuration, 1 TB disk (2x500 GB) plus a 120 GB, 6 GB RAM (2 GB Apple base + 4 GB third-party), and my parents are chipping in for a 30" ACD. So yeah, having the whole thing spec'ed out already AND the money in waiting doesn't help.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

I have the same machine. A G4 that was upgraded to a 1.6Ghz. The fan deid in mine too but I replaced the fan with an identical one. You have to remove about 40 screws to get the fan out but now it works well.

You could likely get by with a Mac Mini. The new Intel mini is at least twice as fast as the 1.6Ghz G4 power mac.

I keep waiting for Apple to make something like the Digital Audio Powermac. It sold for $1,500 when new. You'd think if Apple could make a $1500 tower in the 90s that with hardware prices falling and all that they could make a $1500 tower in 2007.

3. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Just a small point-of-order, that computer isn't beige. Apple stopped Making any beige computers around 1997-ish, thanks to Jobs' return as chief.

4. astrostu thread starter macrumors 6502

Whatever. You know what I meant. ;)