Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas_Davie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
Last night, I was installng viruses in Win XP under VMWare Fusion just to see how things would shake out. Well, Win XP got well and truly fubared, and this morning it would not boot up. I deleted the virtual machine, restored from a time machine backup, and was up and running virus free.

5 minutes was all it took.

Very impressed

Tom

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
Last night, I was installng viruses in Win XP under VMWare Fusion just to see how things would shake out. Well, Win XP got well and truly fubared, and this morning it would not boot up. I deleted the virtual machine, restored from a time machine backup, and was up and running virus free.

5 minutes was all it took.

Very impressed

Has more to do with running Windows in a VM, then running in a VM on Leopard.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
For sure, and I've done that, but that I had automatic backups was what flabbergasted me.

Time Machine is cool. I'm not trying to rain on your enthusiasm, but automated backup is not exclusive to OS X. Nor is easy restore. Free BU software is available for Windows from MS. The up side is that you can schedule it to run when you want and are not forced into an hourly BU schedule. I see no reason for Apple to force the schedule. I'd rather do it on demand, a daily basis and a weekly basis.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I just have to add how impressed I am with Time Machine. It has certainly saved me a lot of grief as I added extra drives and was moving files from place to another. Sure Windows has similar programmes, but they are not as well oiled and as pleasurable to use IMO as those found in Leopard.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
That's all well and good, but I would consider not backing up a virtual machine. Each time you change a file time machine will back it up. That means each time you load your virtual machine time machine will back it up. If you have your time machine open for 5 hours, you will get 5 backups of it, if it's a 10 gig VM, that's 50 gig of backup.
I would consider exclusing your VM's from backup and backing those up manually on a weekly basis, or your time machine drive will quickly be filled.

Of course, if your VM's are important you may have different backup needs, but personally mine are extremely disposable, there's no data in there I need, if I lose them I can reinstall and not care.

Thomas_Davie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
That's all well and good, but I would consider not backing up a virtual machine. Each time you change a file time machine will back it up. That means each time you load your virtual machine time machine will back it up. If you have your time machine open for 5 hours, you will get 5 backups of it, if it's a 10 gig VM, that's 50 gig of backup.
I would consider exclusing your VM's from backup and backing those up manually on a weekly basis, or your time machine drive will quickly be filled.

Of course, if your VM's are important you may have different backup needs, but personally mine are extremely disposable, there's no data in there I need, if I lose them I can reinstall and not care.

I'll agree to an extent :) When I install some software in a VM, and am happy with the way it functions, I'll remove the VM from the do not include in Time Machine backups. Next scheduled backup it hets, well backed up. I jot down a note, and then re add it to the exclusion list.

I would rather back up a VM than reinstall the OS and reinstall all of my chosen apps. I still consider Time Machine a godsend. I've never had anything this integrated and as well behaved on Windows.

Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.