(Yet more) sleep/wake issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brookzy, May 18, 2017.

1. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I'm on my third 15" MacBook Pro since placing my order in late April. The first had cosmetic issues, the second had a defective Touch Bar, and now this one won't wake after sleeping more than a minute.

The keyboard illuminates, but the screen stays blank. Holding the power button to shut down is the only option.

I've tried:
    • SMC resets
    • NVRAM resets
    • Completely erasing the disk and re-installing macOS via Internet Recovery
    • macOS 10.12.6 beta
    • Running the Apple Diagnostic Test - no issues found
    The issue persists on a totally clean macOS install (and before logging in, and in Guest User mode) so it isn't any third party software causing an issue.

BUT

In Recovery Mode, i.e. the cut-down environment for accessing Disk Utility etc., sleep/wake works just fine.

So it must be software, right?

Anything else I can do? It's like something needs wiping and reinstalling at deeper down than the OS level.

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

my 2015 rMBP has been having crazy sleep/wake/clam shell mode issues...drives me crazy.

3. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 601

Brookzy

Any ideas where I can find crash logs or something?

This has to be resolvable considering it works in recovery mode.
    --- Post Merged, May 19, 2017 ---
    Scratch this thread: after investigating the logs available in Recovery Mode it appears that it doesn't not enter "proper" sleep, it just turns off the display and fans. So this is probably a hardware issue.