Yey. Ordered 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, need advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baytriple, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Baytriple, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

Baytriple macrumors 6502

Ok so I am a Mac Pro 2,1 3ghz user but thought I would try the 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 MacBook Pro, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz. I have a 2010 17 inch too. (which I'm not sure what I'm going to do with now as I quite liked it but found myself pressing the buy button on the app store, oops)

My question is about thunderbolt. As none of my older macs have it, I feel that I'm not very informed on the situation.

I would like to be able to use the thunderbolt as my main storage, I have a 2TB drive just for storage on my MP. (around 500gb of movies etc, most can deleted as I do acquire a lot of crap ones for some reason)

What are the best options for thunderbolt enabled drives? Better to get SSD or stick with HDs?

Any input would be helpful.

2. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I can't answer your question but congrats on your purchase. :)

3. MDFang macrumors member

SSDs are generally a lot faster, so if you want to take full advantage of Thunderbolt's high transfer speeds, SSDs are the way to go.

4. Baytriple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. It was very unplanned. I was dead set on not getting one. I did get a little swayed by this article. I just couldn't bring myself to buy the new Mac Pro when these MacBook Pros are pretty much the same speed if not faster.
    http://www.cultofmac.com/174582/review-the-2012-retina-macbook-pro/

5. Baytriple thread starter macrumors 6502

6. medi.freak macrumors regular

Congrats from me too!

As far as I understood you want an external drive that is thunderbolt enabled. Correct?
    So far, thunderbolt devices are still rare to find, and I know only four different drives that would use it. - all very expensive in comparison. But, thunderbolt, so probably pretty awesome.

First 2 are from Lacie, one with 1 Tb storage:

Lacie 1TB

and the other one with 2TB storage:

Lacie 2TB

And there are two from Western Digital with either 4TB or 6TB of storage:

Western Digital

Those will be faster than using an SSD as an external Drive, since the cables will be the bottlenecks...As I don't own any of the thunderbolt devices I can't help you in decision making, also I don't know how much money you are willing to spend. I wouldn't want to spend so much money on an external drive, even thunderbolt...

7. Baytriple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info.

I have seen these drives but as you I have not used them.

I think I'll have to do some digging to see what people are liking. Apparently I have 3-4 weeks to decide whilst they install the magic into my new beastie.

I am a graphic designer who uses the machine for image editing in photoshop and Lightroom as well as illustrator and indesign. I would like to try out Final cut too but haven't learnt how to use it yet.