Yikes, 1GB file takes 10min 23sec to transfer to Ext drive!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techmonkey, Nov 30, 2007.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I just purchased a new Maxtor One Touch 4 external USB 2.0 drive. I formatted the partition Mac Extended Journaled. It took 10 min 23 sec to transfer a 1GB VOB file. If my calculations are correct, thats 1.6 MB/sec. Thats super slow!

Any ideas what may be causing this?

2. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Just wondering, if this was when it you first plugged it in, did you enable it as your back-up disk? If so Time Machine was probably still running. The first back-up takes an hour or two. So this would have slowed it down, or you may have just been lucky and hit the time it was backing up.

Just my idea. :p

3. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im not using Leopard. When I first plugged it in, it was NTFS, so I had to format it for Mac. Does it make a difference if I format Mac Extended (Journaled) vs Mac Extended?

4. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

I have mine Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and it runs fairly fast. Hmm...I don't know what would do it. If you have another computer try it on there. I don't know if its possible, but maybe there is a problem with the drive itself.

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

Definitely try it on another system. Also, try the transfer again, in case Spotlight was indexing the drive or something the first time.

6. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, I feel stupid...

I turns out the file I was transferring was on a shared folder on my WinXP machine. Plus, I am transferring it over a wireless connection :p

So it took 9 min 1 sec to transfer the file to my Mac desktop (wireless connection, 802.11g) , then 55 sec to transfer the file from my desktop to the Ext drive. Thats about 18.18 MB/sec. The drive is rated at 33MB/sec Sustained transfer rate.

Does 18.18MB/sec sound right?

7. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Just ran a quick test on my setup, I average around the same rate you do. Glad you figured it out though!

8. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help :)