Yikes! I think I might be allergic to my watch!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by 1sazim, Jun 22, 2015.

1. 1sazim, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015

1sazim macrumors member

I have the 42mm with milanese band and I love it! I've had it since right after it was released and, I must say, I love wearing it. A few days ago, I noticed an itchiness on the arm that I wear the watch on. At first, I thought it was a bite I might have gotten, but could find no mark. The next day, I noticed the itchiness began not long after I put on my watch, and was intense. I've left my watch off for a few days, to let the area calm down and will again try with the watch after another day or two.

My questions are, first...has anyone else had this happen? And next, what did you do about it if you did? Thanks for your help. :)

UPDATE- I left my watch of for two days and then put it on. So far, no problems. I'm curious to see how I fare after continual use, as I wore it before for several weeks and then had a problem. Hopefully, I won't have any issues because I love my watch!

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You're allergic to surgical steel? :eek:

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Have you washed your watch? Just in case you got soap under it when washing you hands I would give the watch a big wash and dry and see if it happens again. I got soap under the wedding band and it felt like it was going to rot my finger off!:confused:

4. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

I remember reading somewhere that the nickel contained in Apple Watch might cause skin irritation if you have particularly sensitive skin. Maybe that's the cause...

5. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

6. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Same thing is happening to my GF, she's got a small round rash on the skin underneath where the watch sits. Not sure if it is from the HR light, or the material. usually she's wearing a rolex, which has a stainless steel back (which should have SOME nickel in it) with a gold watch body, or a swatch, but none of those give her any skin irritation.

7. MaulRx Suspended

If you are washing your hands often while wearing the watch, soap and water can get trapped under and cause irritation.

8. sirenized macrumors regular

You're not alone. I have the sports band. I'll be returning the watch to apple

Attached Files:

9. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

A salesperson at the apple store showed me a rash she had from wearing a milanese loop. She thinks it wasn't from an allergic reaction as much as it was just from abrasion from the steel fabric in the loop in her situation.

10. bh85 macrumors regular

bh85

11. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

I couldn't stand how the milanese loop felt... no allergies, but wrist was always red and irritated (I made sure it wasn't too tight). Switched to sport band and am fine, almost forget at times I'm wearing the watch.

Tried friends leather loop and felt fine too. Guess Milanese just wasn't for me.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's not surgical steel as it contains trace amounts of nickel and methacrylates, and the OP might be allergic to one or the other.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Well according to the Internet 316L is surgical steel.

14. melman101 macrumors 68030

That's disheartening. I do have some slight irritation, but I love the Milanese, so I'll deal with it. It's never itchy and never bad, though. Sometimes a bit tight, but not bad.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

True, but there's no formal definition for surgical steel so manufacturers tend to throw that term around, and customer-grade 316L isn't actually used in surgical tools.

16. dandrewk macrumors 6502

17. melman101 macrumors 68030

18. dandrewk macrumors 6502

From those who have done it, zero effect. Why should it affect the sensors? They are based on IR and green light, which isn't affected by clear polish.

Mind you, this is all hearsay. I don't have the issue, so ymmv.

19. 1sazim thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your suggestions! I really appreciate it. :) I think I will try to wear on my other wrist as a first attempt to get to the bottom of the problem. I love the band, and have no problem with the way it feels on my wrist, just the reaction that I'm possibly having from it. I'd hate to have to get another band, but will if I need to, I guess. I'll update after trying on my other wrist (although that'll feel really strange! For years, I've always worn it on my left wrist) because I think that's a good way to test it. :cool:

20. 1sazim thread starter macrumors member

I had read this, but knew of no allergies to any metals. I _did_ know that sterling silver pierced earrings caused a problem with my ears (pain and swelling), but did not think this would be a problem.

21. noobinator macrumors 601

22. anez macrumors 6502

anez

I had a similar problem when I got the (Sport silver, white band) Watch first. I now make sure it is fully dry after cleaning before I put it on, and I wear it on a looser hole so that it moves enough to prevent any moisture from sweat or hand-washing getting trapped between the band and and my skin.

I wore the Watch on the other wrist until the issue cleared, put it back on following the above steps, and after more than a month of wear, I haven't had a problem since. Good luck!

23. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

I had a similar issue with a Fitbit. They gave me my $$ back no questions asked and payed for the return shipping even though I bought it locally.

I got "burns" on my wrist where the metal portion of the Fitbit contacted my skin.

I sure hope this doesn't become an issue for me with my Apple Watch. That would suck.

Steve

24. greygrey macrumors newbie

For years they went on and on about how dangerous mobile phones can be and the radiation they give out. You have to wonder what harm we are doing by wearing this electrical product on our arms all day long (its practically a mobile phone when you consider you can talk with it) as well as carrying around an iphone and even an ipad at times as well!!

I love the watch, but even before i read this article hated the idea of wearing sometime like this on my arm 24/7

25. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Nickle allergy is very common with stainless steel wrist wear, even if it's made by Apple! :eek:

26. dandrewk macrumors 6502

So you are equating a possible allergic reaction (more likely due to friction) to non-existent radiation from mobile phones?

There has not been a single case of anyone getting sick from this "radiation", nor has there been the slightest uptick of adverse reactions to cellular/mobile technology. You'd think after decades of usage by hundreds of millions of users that we'd see some affect by now.

There never was a real issue, only alarmist ramblings from outspoken luddites citing bad science that has long since been discredited. So relax, wear your watch and enjoy it without worrying that your wrist will one day fall off.