Yikes! What is a Heuristic Trojan?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by B.winkle, Oct 22, 2010.

1. B.winkle macrumors member

Last week I mailed a package to my daughter via UPS for her birthday. Yesterday I got an email from UPS for tracking a package. Naturally, I opened it and it turned out to be a Heuristic trojan! :eek: Lousy timing! So I have ClamXav and ran it, only to find this damn thing. Now what? Does anyone have a suggestion to get rid of it? I have it quarantined in a folder, but I don't really understand what to do now?:confused:

2. dasmb macrumors regular

"Heuristics" are pattern matching algorithms. Clam is saying "what you downloaded might have a Trojan, according to the kind of work the code is trying to perform, but I don't know what exact Trojan it is."

Either way, delete the file and move on. You're a mac user. We don't need to worry about nonsense like this, because our machine won't let you run code you downloaded until you authorize it to do so (the "you downloaded this from the internet, are you sure you trust it" dialog).

3. B.winkle thread starter macrumors member

No, I did not enter my password or any ssn etc.. But, now what? If I want to enter those things (buy something on-line) how do I protect my info?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the link I posted on Mac Virus/Malware Info.

5. B.winkle thread starter macrumors member

I think it has been deleted. Could it have been transmitted to my friends PC's before I deleted it? I didn't send any emails etc.. I read the links above. GG thanks for the link.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it can't be transmitted without you actively sending an email, because it can't run in Mac OS X.

7. B.winkle thread starter macrumors member

GG, Again thank you. I'm new to Mac so I am a bit paranoid. I ran ClamXav again and it found nothing. Good stuff iMacs!:)

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You don't have to worry about getting a virus on your Mac. You can even remove your Antivirus, its not necessary. the only use it has it picking up windows viruses others have when they share files with you.

I used to use my Mac all the time to scan windows machines hard drives to remove virus from the windows machines.