Yoga Book, Surface 3, or something else?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ozaz, Oct 1, 2016.

1. ozaz macrumors 65816

I want to buy a laptop/tablet hybrid soon. It will be a light, low-power device that I keep in my bag on a day to day basis and manly use for short periods of note-taking, reading documents, light MS Office work, email, and internet. This will be while travelling and at meetings.

I'm thinking of getting either a Surface 3 or the recently announced Yoga Book.

I've never used a Surface-type device before. My concern with it is how usable is the Surface 3 on your lap or on a back-of-the-seat tray (public transport / train /airplane use)? On the other hand, I do prefer the screen ratio of the Surface 3 (3:2) to the Yoga book (16:10), and the Yoga book 'keyboard' might be a disaster.

Would appreciate any thoughts people have or suggestions for alternative devices.
    I'd rather not get something that costs a lot more than the two devices I'm already considering.

What I want
    - Windows
    - Stylus for notes and annotating documents
    - Light: less than 1kg (2.2 lbs) including keyboard
    - Long battery life

What I don't need
    - High computing power - all my main work will be done on other fully powered computers.

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I'll add another device to your list---Samsung TabPro S. Lighter than a Surface and more usable on your lap, with a smaller footprint while doing so. It's running a core M CPU which is more than enough for your needs and helps contribute to better battery life. Also, the high-res OLED display is terrific. It comes with its attachable keyboard but the stylus is sold separately.

One con when compared to the Surface or Yoga that you only have 2 choices for viewing angle when using the keyboard. That being said, the keyboard feel and trackpad were better than I expected.

I have one and while I haven't taken to it heavily because I'm just still not a fan of Windows, it's a pretty great device.

IMG_2964.JPG

3. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. It costs a little bit more than I'd like to pay, but I'll definitely consider it.

One possible downside is it might be a bit larger than I'm looking for.... One likely tablet mode use case for me is reading pdf documents whilst having to stand on commuter train :(. Currently use an iPad mini for this, but would like to try switching to the Windows tablet I get if its small/light enough. For this reason, a 10-11" device might be more suitable.

4. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Sorry, just noticed your wrote Surface 3...not Surface Pro. Not sure what the secondary markets are like in the UK but I was able to get mine from Swappa.com, still new for a deep discount vs retail. Yes, it's a bigger device but it's quite thin and light, comparatively.

5. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

There doesn't seem to be much of a secondary market for TabPro in the UK. But if I'm patient enough, could probably get one on eBay for about £500 which is fine for me price-wise. It's less than the launch price for the Yoga Book (£550).

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

The Yoga Book is certainly an intriguing product...my biggest concern would be that keyboard implementation. If you are looking for easy of use while commuting, the TabPro S might be a bit too big.

7. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah those are my primary concerns with both those devices. Also not sure how I'd get on with lack of a standard usb port on the Yoga Book. But my curiosity may get the better of me in spite of concerns, as I too find it a very intriguing device.

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Just a heads up...TabPro S only has a single USB-C port as well.