yoga?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by shecky, Jun 6, 2008.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

anyone into it? as a big fat guy, i rarely/never work out, but my fiancé and i went to a private yoga lesson today - she goes to a class a few times a week but it was my first time. I won't say i was "dragged" to it, but it was not my idea to go :)

anyway, it was somewhat enjoyable. tough in some ways but relaxing in others. anyone else have any experiences with it? we are talking about doing a private class a couple of times a month and the rest on our own a couple of times a week.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've been doing yoga for over 20 years. What do you want to know?

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I did two weeks of Bikram Yoga in Sydney and thoroughly enjoyed it. I left each class completely knackered yet bursting with energy, if that makes sense?

Unfortunately, the nearest Bikram studio to me now is in Leicester (140 miles away) and that's a bit too far for me travel everyday for a yoga class!

4. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I love yoga, I've been doing it for about a year and a half. It's great for stress relief and it helped me move away from sedentarianism :p. There's a lot of "spiritual" stuff that annoys me (I'm a big fat skeptic :p), but the physical activity by itself is pretty enjoyable and beneficial. You wont regret practicing yoga.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Every teacher is takes a different approach. Some are really into the spiritual aspects. I've had teachers who burn candles and play music. Others teach yoga practically like aerobics. I don't much care for either extreme.

Find a teacher you like, and stick with them.

6. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

IJ, I can totally see you as a yogi ;)

I started bikram a few weeks ago and am HOOKED. Its amazing. I've gained 40+ pounds over the last five years and I can see losing it within the year, and in a healthy way, if i continue at this pace. Not only that but I feel so energized!