Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Eternal Storms Software today updated its popular drag and drop Mac app Yoink with several improvements, including clipboard support.

yoink-mac-app-800x372.jpg

Mac users can now add the contents of their clipboard to Yoink by opening the app's dropdown menu from the menu bar and clicking "Add from Clipboard." If you copy an image from a website, for example, you can essentially paste it into Yoink and it will appear as a TIFF file that can be dragged and dropped.

yoink-clipboard.jpg

Alongside clipboard support, PopClip can now be integrated with Yoink after installing a plugin in the app's advanced preferences.

Yoink 3.4 has improved compatibility with several apps, including Messages and Mail on macOS High Sierra, Parallels, ForkLift, Keka, Horos, and JPEGmini. The update also fixes a bug in macOS High Sierra where performing a dragging gesture would sometimes result in files being selected in Yoink.

Yoink, first released in 2011, is a popular drag and drop helper for Mac. When you drag a file, the app pops open along the edge of the screen as a convenient place to drop the file. Yoink will hold on to the files you drag into it until you drag them out again, freeing up your mouse to navigate more easily.

Yoink 3.1

Yoink 3.4 is available now on the Mac App Store [Direct Link] as a free update for existing users. The app costs $6.99 for new users.

Article Link: Yoink for Mac Updated With Clipboard Support

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
This is a great example of an app I wish I could try for free before buying. It looks useful, but I'm not sure I'll integrate it into my workflow.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Yoink would be absolutely useless if Apple adhered to universal standards with CMD+X and CMD+V commands to move files.

But then again, Apple has either the incompetent people working for them if not at least the most stubborn.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

MacPeach

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Switzerland
Hadn't heard of it before, but based upon your positive feedback, I'm curious to try this out.

How about privacy? Would love, if Macrumors would regularly mention at least a word in that regard... here especially, whenever i copy a password in my clipboard...

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Yoink would be absolutely useless if Apple adhered to universal standards with CMD+X and CMD+V commands to move files.

But then again, Apple has either the incompetent people working for them if not at least the most stubborn.

It was added in Lion. Cmd+opt+v moves a copied file. Pretty basic.

Reactions: ignatius345

m.gansrigler

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Vienna, Austria
This is a great example of an app I wish I could try for free before buying. It looks useful, but I'm not sure I'll integrate it into my workflow.
Hi Larrylaffer,
there's a free, 15-day demo here: https://eternalstorms.at/yoink/mac (or direct download: https://eternalstorms.at/yoink/Yoink.zip)
[doublepost=1507097364][/doublepost]
How about privacy? Would love, if Macrumors would regularly mention at least a word in that regard... here especially, whenever i copy a password in my clipboard...
Hi MacPeach,
Yoink doesn't automatically add anything from the clipboard you copy. You have to explicitly tell it to.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.