Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Has anyone ever used the Yonomi app and if so how well does it work? I decided over the holidays I was going to figure out how to get my Harmony Hub to work with Siri. I figured I would need to get HomeBridge setup (which I was kind of dreading). But I came across this Yonomi app which makes non-HomeKit devices work with Siri and more specifically Siri Shortcuts. I set up a couple commands for turning on/off the Bedroom and Living Room TVs. Does anyone have any experience with how well this works and how quick it is to carry out the command? It looks like they also have a TP-Link option to get Siri to work with those devices as well.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
So FYI, homebridge-harmonyhub is going to be an issue, at least for now.

It communicates through an XMPP-based API that Logitech just shut off a few days ago. You should be able to find info about this via googling something like "harmony api" in the last few days. Lots of noise.

Anyway, some other home automation packages have already switched to their WebSockets-based API, but the homebridge-harmonyhub stuff looks a bit abandoned. Maybe someone will pick it up and run with it, maybe not.

I really didn't want to bring in some unknown cloud-based provider, so I haven't tried Yonomi, but I heard it still work. Logitech officially mentions them, so that's a good sign. They're clearly using the WebSockets based API already.

No idea how fast, but they have to occasionally hit the cloud for an auth token, but then everything else should be able to be local your network.

I've been running with one of the outdated packages using Siri Shortcuts to trigger commands. So now I just need to swap it out with an updated one that uses websockets.

Bgosh

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2016
Las Vegas

It communicates through an XMPP-based API that Logitech just shut off a few days ago. You should be able to find info about this via googling something like "harmony api" in the last few days. Lots of noise.

Anyway, some other home automation packages have already switched to their WebSockets-based API, but the homebridge-harmonyhub stuff looks a bit abandoned. Maybe someone will pick it up and run with it, maybe not.

I really didn't want to bring in some unknown cloud-based provider, so I haven't tried Yonomi, but I heard it still work. Logitech officially mentions them, so that's a good sign. They're clearly using the WebSockets based API already.

No idea how fast, but they have to occasionally hit the cloud for an auth token, but then everything else should be able to be local your network.

I've been running with one of the outdated packages using Siri Shortcuts to trigger commands. So now I just need to swap it out with an updated one that uses websockets.
Came here to say just this. I’m running it on homebridge and have downgraded the firmware and blocked the update urls as a temporary solution.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago

Thanks for the information. I had setup HomeBridge on my home PC to work with my TP-Link outlets awhile back but gave up on it after a bit. Was thinking about going the Rasberry Pi route this time. Hopefully this Yonomi app is good and reliable and I can avoid going through the HomeBridge setup. Thanks again for the info!

Wish Logitech would just develop their own Siri Shortcuts or incorporate their Hub with HomeKit to avoid all the work arounds.

Reactions: Bgosh

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Yeah, I've been waiting, hoping Logitech adds Siri Shortcuts and/or HomeKit support, too! However, this doesn't bode well...so keep hoping but don't hold your breath :(

"Logitech added that it's not currently focused on expanding the number of smart home controls available for the Harmony Hub, but it will "continue to evaluate interesting opportunities." The Harmony cloud API is currently used by Amazon's Alexa, the Google Assistant, SmartThings, IFTTT, and Yonomi, to name a few."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...reaks-locally-controlled-harmony-hub-systems/

Basically, everything that I won't use and nothing that I will :(

Bgosh mentioned the ability to downgrade firmware - I totally forgot to mention that! That's another option if none of the above work for you.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, I've been waiting, hoping Logitech adds Siri Shortcuts and/or HomeKit support, too! However, this doesn't bode well...so keep hoping but don't hold your breath :(

"Logitech added that it's not currently focused on expanding the number of smart home controls available for the Harmony Hub, but it will "continue to evaluate interesting opportunities." The Harmony cloud API is currently used by Amazon's Alexa, the Google Assistant, SmartThings, IFTTT, and Yonomi, to name a few."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...reaks-locally-controlled-harmony-hub-systems/

Basically, everything that I won't use and nothing that I will :(

Bgosh mentioned the ability to downgrade firmware - I totally forgot to mention that! That's another option if none of the above work for you.
I am currently using the stuff through Alexa, but I am trying to phase that stuff out and stick with HomePods/HomeKit only. It's too bad they aren't looking into adding it to HomeKit, oh well I guess.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I guess I will answer my own question in case anyone else is wondering..

Yes the Yonomi app works to get Siri to work with the Harmony Hub. I have it set up to work with both my living room and Bedroom TV. If you have more than 2 Harmony Hubs throughout your house you could use Siri with each of these unlike the Alexa skills which only allow you to control up to 2 TVs. There is a bit of a delay, maybe 4 seconds... The HomePod will say "executing the Siri Shortcut" and then a second or 2 later it'll say it was done and everything fires up. It is roughly the same delay as Alexa. Really happy with it thus far. It is nice to be able to tell Siri that I am going to watch TV and have the lights setup and the whole entertainment system boot up. Really happy with it so far. I did have to set up two commands per TV. One to start the activity and one to power off the activity.

Reactions: Bgosh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.