Yoobao announces USB-C hub

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fatefulwhisper, Apr 21, 2015.

1. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

2. thedeske macrumors 6502a

One of many to come. Some compatible, some not so much.

3. magbarn macrumors 68000

The main question I have is: Can it charge the rMB? Since the Apple dongle seems to only allow charging on the USB-C port (and not allow another dongle or device to attach to the USB-C port on it), this hub - while finally allowing USB/Displayport on the rMB will only work for as long as you have battery charge.

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

So you're saying you can't use any USB C accessories on the USB C port on the Apple dongle? You can only charge through that?

5. magbarn macrumors 68000

According to Apple's page, you can only charge on the port. It is a bit vague though so may be some enterprising individual can try daisy chaining the $79 dongles together and see if that works.

6. kampongkid macrumors regular

If that's true I may have to cancel my multiport adaptor order and just grab googles $40 hdmi now

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Looks nice - I'm excited to see these things flow out like water. This is going to be a fun time when us Apple people can actually use an open standard for charging / data.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If a user needs that many ports, the rMB is not the laptop for them.

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- It was confirmed on page three of this thread that the USB-C port is strictly for charging (direct link to post).

10. magbarn macrumors 68000

Thanks!

No way now I'm paying Apple $79+tax for their dongle. I'll wait for a docking station for my wife's rMB.

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Wtf was Apple thinking. So now I can't use a normal USB accessory and a USB-C accessory with their port.

12. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

i wonder how much Yoobao usb-c digital av adapter will cost.

13. Cat5e macrumors member

While I'd love to get a "real" USB hub for my rMB (I'm holding out for the OWC one), I have the Apple dongle I use at home and it works great. When I'm on the run, I bring a USB C to USB A adapter by Satechi (also works great) so I can plug in USB devices as needed.