Yoobao iSmart - disappointment...

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by mr.thing, May 15, 2012.

1. mr.thing macrumors member

Just received Yoobao iSmart today and very disappointed with this case. Leather does not really feels like a real leather, it’s even worse than my PU leather Invellop case I got from Amazon. Also, magnets does not work properly on the case and I was unable to position smart cover the way it can interact with magnet. Below are some pics of the case.

Will be asking seller for refund or at least exchange. I’m suspecting, maybe he is selling iPad 2 designed cases with iPad 3 label on them…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p591/mrthingau/IMG_1304.jpg[/IM
    G]

[IMG]http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p591/mrthingau/IMG_1304.jpg

[​IMG]

2. glen e macrumors 68030

I keep telling people the yabba dabba doo stuff is sub standard after I bought two last year. It simply is a simulated leather type that looks like it's inexpensive.....but it always gets bumped to the top here.

3. mr.thing thread starter macrumors member

Well, I bought this case just out of my interest to have a look. I did not expected a lot from $30 "leather" case but at least I thought it will fit ok with no issues. Was wrong :)

4. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

My exec leather doesn't fit well either. It's just a crappy brand that gets attention only because fake users promote it on discussion boards like this one.

5. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

I kinda wonder about that for some other brands mentioned here like GGMM (or whatever it was) and Kays Case, although to Kay's case's credit, its really affordable for those who prioritize costs.

6. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

The iSlim is a much better fit. The cover flap aligns perfectly.

7. Nipples macrumors newbie

I could not disagree more.

My new brown Yoobao Executive Leather Folio fits perfect with my new ipad. Sleep and Wake does also work perfect. The cutouts lined perfect. And i am not an fake promoter or fake user.

I have the Sena Florence Case aswell. It is twice the price of the yoobao. And....there is no big difference between this two cases. They are nearly the same. For one sena Florence you can get two yoobao.

After this experiences, would i prefer the Sena or the yoobao...i would definitely go with the yoobao again. But i also believe, that yoobao has more quality problems than sena.

It is a question of expectations.

Just my few thoughts

8. Nhwhazup, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I agree that the iSlim fits much better. And for me, I've tried a lot of cases (at least 8 different ones and have found the Yoobao iSlim the best to suit my needs thus far. In comparison to the others the Yoobao one has the best overall functionality and for what it is, the workmanship is better than most of the others. I also don't mind the leather. Others claim it's PU or bi-cast leather. I don't see that at all. I have a bonded leather storage toy chest and that is really cheap and stiff crap. I do find that the Yoobao leather is definitely treated and it may not be top grain but I find it pretty good. The feel is nice and mine smells like leather.

Some of the problems with cases I've returned thus far:

Apple leather smart cover - all stained from clean hands before getting it home from the store.

Griffin Intellicase - bought several to get a case without lumps and bumps molded in the cover. And then the cover started to fray for wear after a couple of weeks so it got returned as well

Boxwave - just awful quality - the seams were apart in places and the back where the material went into the case was all puckered in place and apart in others

Jisoncase - leather all spotted and discolored - tried 2 and returned them both

Maroo - overall good style and quality - didn't like the way the stand worked

Invellop - lining all wrinkled by the hinge

iCarer - this one was the worst - awful leather and a pretty good pointy bump in the lining of the cover. Also if you want to see bad leather - this was really poor leather. Stiff and extremely thin like paper.

Best cases thus far for me:

Bridgeway by Devicewear - took two tries to get a good quality but their customer service was excellent. Overall really great functioning slim TPU case.

Case mate Tuxedo case - great quality right out of the box. Good overall function but the open back actually made the case appear bulkier than it was. And the sticky tape would make it a little more difficult to swap cases which I like to do.

Yoobao iSlim. - with all the cases I've tried, this one works the best for me. It's very slim and has a good feel in the hands. Is the leather the same as a $200+ case, of course not, but I actually like the quality of the case. It has none of the above problems- no bumps under the lining, no wrinkles in the lining, no uneven stitching. The is one of the last I've tried and it wasn't even on my radar due to my preference for a non bezel case. I'm really glad I did give it a try as it's my favorite thus far. I have no connection with any sellers just am in search of the perfect case as so many others are as well.

I ordered a Luardi leather case and will report back on that one. Their leather is all either full grain or top grain so I'll see how the quality is. And the photos show no seaming - not sure how they do it.

The Vaja cases look great but not in stock and I've seen some cold reviews on them as well.

So at this point, I'm a Yoobao fan - love the fit, functionality, overall quality of the workmanship and like the leather.

I had a Yoobao case on my original iPad and the case and the iPad looked like new after two years of constant use.

9. lawrie1947 macrumors member

Vaja

"The Vaja cases look great but not in stock and I've seen some cold reviews on them as well."

I just got a Vaja Libretto and it is stunning.

I read about every review and was quite concerned but took the plunge.

Leather soft, bezel almost fully exposed and the stand works fine

10. lindend macrumors newbie

Could you explain what features you like in the iSlim compared to the Bridgeway?

11. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Can you show some photos of your case? The real photos are always so much more revealing than the website photos. I'm debating about this case - just maybe if they come back in stock. I'm extremely impatient.:eek:

12. Nhwhazup, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Bridgeway - I like for it's slim form factor, clean lines, great functionality and overall great quality workmanship. The cover is the slimnest around and the magnets are just perfect. Strong enough to hold the cover tight against the iPad but not so strong that they cause a problem when the cover is held against the back in the book mode. Even better that the metal strip on the back holds the cover from flopping around in the book mode. Really nice case for the thin and lightest weight great functioning case. This case also has a smart type cover that folds up in the triangle shape to provide the stands.

Yoobao iSlim - no nonsense, decent leather case. It does cover the bezel but really only halfway so for a bezel type case leaves the most uncovered. The leather around the bezel lays nice and flat and really is quite unobtrusive. The cover is a little thicker and heavier than the Bridgeway but feels substantial and nice. The magnets work fine in all modes - awake/sleep and keep the cover closed without flopping around. Not as strong as the Bridgeway but pretty good. What I originally didn't think I would like about this case - the back, is actually what I really like the most about it now. The soft leather back is really nice. It just makes the full package feel good without the hard case on the back. This case for me just gives a little more protection and feels right. Overall it feels the best in my hands while using it and carrying it. The stand mode is pretty basic but the height and angles are the best for my needs. The stand mode is much quicker than to roll up the smart cover on the Bridgeway. Not really a big deal but they are totally different.

I really like both of these cases but they are the most different from each other in all the cases that I have tried. As I mentioned before, the Yoobao due to the bezel part wasn't even on my radar as my search only included cases with the open bezel. But after all my silly searching and knowing how well I liked my previous Yoobao, I figured - what's one more case to try? :p I'm really glad I did cause this one is my favorite thus far. Stay tuned as I did order a Luardi and then just maybe a Vaja is in my future??? Well maybe not. ;) I just reviewed my credit card statement and need a spreadsheet to keep track of all the case purchases. Really silly when the UPS and post office will ask, "Another case?". But then my husband is way too funny as he tells me how I am helping the economy by keeping all these folks employed from manufacturers to customer service to UPS to PO. LOL. I guess that's a good way to look at it.

13. lawrie1947 macrumors member

vaja ics

OK, just realised I cannot take pics :)

Anyway, my main concern was that the magnet kept the flap closed. It does. I was also worried that the flap would lie at an angle on the ipad face. It lies flat.
    It is secure when standing in portrait mode.
    I thought about a piel frama but did not quite like the bezel being covered.

Will probably not be well protected if dropped...
    but the leather feels worth the money...almost.
    My choice and happy.

Attached Files:

14. bobright macrumors 601

Hi, which case is this also is it for new iPad or 2nd gen?

15. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Looks very nice.

16. lawrie1947 macrumors member

New ipad.

I know a few guys have used the old vaja on the new ipad and got lucky with the magnet's polarity. The new ipad could squeeze in the ipad 2 Vaja case but I did not want to take the risk (although at half the price it was tempting)

17. bobright macrumors 601

So the magnets work or they don't and can you link me, which case is it?

18. lawrie1947 macrumors member

I thought it might not be too clear:)

Vaja had a specific case to work on the Ipad2 which worked fine.

Some people found that it worked OK on the ipad 3 as well although it was a bit of a squeeze to get the ipad in owing to the extra thickness of the new ipad.

The polarity of the magnets in the ipad 2 Vaja either made the sleep/wake function of the new ipad work or not. Some were lucky, others not.

I was not prepared to take the risk so bought the new vaja (libretto) specifically designed for the new Ipad which is absolutely perfect.