Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frenchtony

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
London
Hi All,

I've got 3 Macs (lucky me), and after upgrading them to 10.10.2, my Synology NAS disappeared from the "Shared" section in the Finder (and PathFinder).
My TimeCapsule is still visible though.

Also, I had a link to a specific folder of that NAS in my favourites, which doesn't work anymore: when I click on it, after a few minutes, I get a message saying it can't find my NAS named "NAS" (how original).

I can nevertheless access the NAS by accessing it from its IP, which leads me to think that there is a (new) problem with Samba.

My only worry is that I can't find anyone else with the same problem, but surely I'm not the only one who has a Mac and a Synology...

Do you have a similar setup, and is it working for you guys?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've not had issues with my Qnap NAS. Do you have a discovery app that looks for the NAS? I have something called qFinder which locates it, and reports the IP address so I can connect to it.

frenchtony

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
London
I've not had issues with my Qnap NAS. Do you have a discovery app that looks for the NAS? I have something called qFinder which locates it, and reports the IP address so I can connect to it.

Yes, I'm using LanScan, which also gives me the IP address. But it's not as practical as having the NAS showing up in the "Shared" section and just connecting to it... I must say I've been a bit disappointed with Apple's software quality lately!

FearGhost

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
Cambridge, UK
My Synology NAS's (DS213 & DS710) are both showing ok on my Mac's in Finder under 'Shared'. They have been upgraded 10.10.2. Both NAS are running the latest firmware (although the DS710 is now no longer supported).

wunderboy

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
I have a DS411slim and do not have an issue seeing the main NAS, but I do have an issue.

At login, I automatically mount two volumes on my NAS. Been doing this for years and years. Now, no matter what I try, it always defaults to one share. In login items I have mounting volumes Backup and Media. Verify settings, logout then login and I only have Backup. Look at login items and it shows two Backups in the list. Remove those add Media and Backup, logout then login, I now have 2 Media. Huh?

I have rebooted, reset SMC and NVRAM, repaired permissions, tried it on my vanilla Admin account...same thing every time.

KScottMyers

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2009
Orlando, FL
My Synology NAS's (DS213 & DS710) are both showing ok on my Mac's in Finder under 'Shared'. They have been upgraded 10.10.2. Both NAS are running the latest firmware (although the DS710 is now no longer supported).

My DS1813 is working fine as well after the 10.10.2 update on several Macs.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
My WD Mybookliveduo is working but has always been a bit slow to start on automatic connection after logging onto my Mac. It's wired and has current firmware.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Not sure why it stopped working but what protocols does the NAS support? Specifically, does it support bonjour / avahi?

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Do you have a similar setup, and is it working for you guys?
Same issue here over WiFi. Wired seems ok. Something seems very odd here.

I use SMB with my Synology, and all WiFi SMB seems borked in 10.10.2 right now. Synology Cloud Station also just shows "Connecting". I also couldn't run Airport Utility, it wouldn't see my Time Capsule.

It might be something to do with the SMB local master browser. If I reboot my Synology, and wait until it comes back, all SMB servers (Synology NAS, my Time Capsule SMB share, and two PCs) show back up on my WiFi 10.10.2 and things work again. But if I reboot my Mac (or let it sleep) then all SMB and Synology Cloud station is disconnected.

UPDATE: and now after waiting 10 minutes all my SMB shares are working. Cloud Station works for about a minute if I click "Resume", then stops and goes back to Connecting. I removed my Cloud Station configuration, and re-attached and am now re-syncing.

Last edited:

Fester1952

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I had exactly the same problem with my Synology NAS. I have a McAfee subscription for all the computers here, Mac's and Windows.Turned out it was the McAfee firewall causing the issue. Turned it off and the NAS appeared again in shared. Was OK before 10.10.2, you haven't got some 3rd part anti-virus/firewall installed have you?

wingit1x

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2015
Colorado, USA
At login, I automatically mount two volumes on my NAS. Been doing this for years and years. Now, no matter what I try, it always defaults to one share. In login items I have mounting volumes Backup and Media. Verify settings, logout then login and I only have Backup. Look at login items and it shows two Backups in the list. Remove those add Media and Backup, logout then login, I now have 2 Media. Huh?

I have rebooted, reset SMC and NVRAM, repaired permissions, tried it on my vanilla Admin account...same thing every time.

I'm having an identical issue. Started with upgrade to Yosemite. Continues after clean install last night. I can only assume it has something to do with identical login credentials for the two volumes. Very strange. I've found no information on any other site yet. I've attempted various methods of adding the two volumes in Login Items with no change in results. Frustrating.

wunderboy

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
Sorry for such a late, late reply. I didn't get a notice that there were posts. Anyways, still having the same issue with auto mounting shares at login. I can confirm this started with Yosemite and still haven't found a fix. Plus, it seems like there really much being said about this issue. I guess not many people use auto mount at logon for more than one share?

If anyone has a fix that would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.