Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Just wanted to let you know I've installed 10.10 on my MacBook Air which I don't use often for music production thankfully! And CoreAudio is completely broken, Ableton Live doesn't launch and Pro Tools brings up this strange message and uses half my RAM! So if you only have one machine your using for music I would suggest holding of for the time being!

Cheers!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 16.49.22.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 16.49.22.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,100

dimitricu

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Really useful. Thank you. I was going to update to yosemite but i am in music production with ableton live so I was looking forward this kind of information. By the way, what version of Ableton Live do you have? do you use lots of VST or components?

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Really useful. Thank you. I was going to update to yosemite but i am in music production with ableton live so I was looking forward this kind of information. By the way, what version of Ableton Live do you have? do you use lots of VST or components?

I'm using Live 9 and I don't have a lot mainly Native Instruments stuff really in AU.

CaCohen0509

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
I'm downloading Pro Tools 11 now with 10.10, i'll plug it all into my interface and report back.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Everything working great on my mac, I wonder if its just the fact that the air is no good for pro tools? Also this is version 11.1.3, Yosemite DP1 is running strong.
View attachment 474957

Thats odd then? Maybe I should update Pro Tools, my air wasn't too bad for Pro Tools on mavericks obviously not ideal, but the times when I did use it with Pro Tools it always ran quite well so don't think its the actual computer maybe just need to update. Thanks for the post!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi All,
Just wanted to let you know I've installed 10.10 on my MacBook Air which I don't use often for music production thankfully! And CoreAudio is completely broken, Ableton Live doesn't launch and Pro Tools brings up this strange message and uses half my RAM! So if you only have one machine your using for music I would suggest holding of for the time being!

Cheers!

THIS is why Apple has "developer previews" it allows developers such as Ableton and Avid to start working on fixing their apps months before users get access to the new OS.

If you are not a developer why on Earth would you want a Yosemite preview? It's only really purpose it so you can test and verify your apps.

But if you do have an app that uses Core Audio it looks like you have some work ahead.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
THIS is why Apple has "developer previews" it allows developers such as Ableton and Avid to start working on fixing their apps months before users get access to the new OS.

If you are not a developer why on Earth would you want a Yosemite preview? It's only really purpose it so you can test and verify your apps.

But if you do have an app that uses Core Audio it looks like you have some work ahead.

Yes I do develop, and yes I'm working with Yosemite on another machine now. I only wrote this post as theres many other people that I have seen installing it "just to see" for example there was someone the other day who was a student and wanted to just "try it out" so if theres people doing that theres people that are going to be into music installing Yosemite just because. So THIS is why I wrote the post not just because!

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Mavericks had some pretty blatant bugs when it was released.

Tim Cook said at the WWDC Keynote that Apple was going to allow registered users to also beta test Yosemite.

I hope this will help Apple launch a less buggy first version.

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
I'm still running ML on my studio MP, and have no interest in changing at present. Since the machine is running my DAW (DP8 64 bit) 95% of the time, I don't see how an OS upgrade will do anything but increase the odds I will have a headache to deal with.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
Pro Tools just loves to throw out those assertion errors. I had to uninstall (yes, manually) and reinstall PT10 after upgrading to Mavericks.

Reinstalling Pro Tools usually does the trick for those assertion errors. I'm not sure why they happen or what the root cause is.

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
I'm curious/anxious to hear about Logic Pro 9. I really don't want to pay for the update to LPX or higher, but always like the newest so updates.

tellside

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
Hi all, I've been looking for some compatibilities with Live9 and it seems to be ok with Yosemite and Live 9.1.5. but I'm using Native instruments VSTi too and it still doesn't work.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Everything i've thrown at 10.10 has worked perfectly so far. Including Logic X and Reason 8.
In fact, it's been working better for me than 10.9, as I used to get some annoying audio glitches in it that I no longer get in 10.10

So far so good :cool:

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Tracked 24tracks through a Console onto my Macbook Air running 10.10 and ProTools10 on Friday, and it was absolutely fine, didn't skip a beat.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Small addition to my above post.. My ancient midisport 2X2 midi interface is dead as a dodo in Yosemite. Strangely, it worked fine in Mavericks, which officially, it wasn't supported in either..
Oh well! Time for a new one then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.