Yosemite and Bootcamp Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Meia Power, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Meia Power macrumors newbie

Hey there!

I have a late-2013 rMBP 13" running Mavericks. It also has a Bootcamp partition with Windows 8.1 Pro (with some software I can't run on OS X)

I want to upgrade Mavericks to Yosemite, but I don't know how Bootcamp partitions are managed, and, therefore, I don't know whether upgrading to Yosemite will break my Windows partition.
    (I am also worried about future Windows upgrades, but for the mean time, I don't think it is important)

I want to do a clean install of Yosemite, and because I have that Bootcamp partition, I don't know if it is a good option (given the time that I even have the computer, if it makes sense to do a clean install).

My questions are: HOW can I perform a clean install of Yosemite? Will it break my Bootcamp partition? Can I avoid the latter situation? Is it the best option to perform a clean install? Will "normal" upgrading to Yosemite also break my Bootcamp partition?

Sorry if this thread seems messy, English is not my first language :eek:

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Just delete the partition during install not the whole drive or you will wipe out the Windows partition.

3. Meia Power thread starter macrumors newbie

So, during the Yosemite upgrade process, I get to manage the partitions?

How is that done and does it screw up the partition management process it self (like, will I get to boot into Windows, or remove the partition through Bootcamp Manager in Yosemite, in the future if I want to? Or to select the main boot partition in Yosemite?)

Sorry for all the questions! I'm new to the Mac world :eek:

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

When you made a Boot Camp partition and put Windows so when you install Yosemite will do an "Upgrade". Once that is done you the can manually reboot into Recovery Mode where you can delete the OS X partition ONLY and then Fo a net install of Yosemite again then you will have a Fresh install.

Just backup your email, pictures, music, rare apps., etc. first!

5. Meia Power, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

Meia Power thread starter macrumors newbie

So, basically, the Bootcamp application will update itself and be aware of the Windows partition to prevent any situations? :)

And I don't have to create a bootable pen or anything? I can download it after I erase my mac partition?

Oh, and what if I want to "dirty" (I don't know how to say it in any other way...) install Yosemite? Will it screw my Bootcamp?
    I read that it happens sometimes, but I don't understand why...

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You also could do a USB install by buying a USB3 thumb drive. Format that drive with Disk Utility to HFS+.

Then folow the steps in the article
    How to make your own bootable OS X 10.10 Yosemite USB install drive

7. Meia Power thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice ;) The terminal is simple enough, I guess.

What are the pros and cons of clean installing? Should I really do it?

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well a clean install will clear out incompatible things and start up fresh. However it will delete everything so do a proper backup before going ahead.

Now if you decide to go easy and do a typical updgrade then use the free program EtreCheck that will show incompatible items in red (with a path to the red item) that one could manually delete. Then reboot. This can help clean out or help you to upgrade those items.

9. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

to be honest i just installed it over my mavericks and had no problems, the bootcamp partition stayed the same and yosemite marked the apps that werent compatible, yahoo messenger and kindle.