Yosemite (and other updates) give us driver updates?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HarCees, Oct 20, 2014.

1. HarCees macrumors member

Hi.

Maybe I should've put this in the OS X part of the forum.

I just wondered, there is some MacBooks that support Yosemite and other updates. Do you think our old hardware get driver updates as well? And other updates, just aimed for our hardware or are we basically with same drivers since snow leopard?

Hope you understood my question. Thank you. :)

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Well, I guess it will not provide driver updates for old hardware. Take as an example the old Macbooks with a nVidia 9400m or a 320m gpu. Until Mountain Lion, you could have CUDA support by downloading drivers directly from nVidia.

In Mavericks, you need downloading some hacked files which I installed for allowing CUDA + 320m + Mavericks on my Mac Mini. With Yosemite things will get worse since it doesn't allow unsigned kext files.

This said, if you want keeping obtaining the best from your hardware, you'd better stay with Mavericks.

3. leman macrumors G3

You've been getting driver updates all the time. For instance, Mavericks bumped the OpenGL capabilities of your card. Of course, at some point there will be an end to any possible updates.

4. HarCees thread starter macrumors member

You guys just said the complete opposite :D (almost)

But for example, my 320m. Nvidia releases new updated drivers very often. Do you think these are included in any of the newer updates ? I mean, even tough our hardware have official "support", how much is it actually being supported?

5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

CUDA drivers for Mavericks do not support 320m or older GPUs. The only way to get CUDA working for 320m/9400m gpus on Mavericks is by installing hacked driver packages. There is a topic on the Macbook Pro forum about this. I wouldn't install Yosemite on pre-2011 Macs with these GPUs. Of course they will work, including OpenCL. However, considering that the most interesting new features from Yosemite require a recent Mac, I don't get the point on installing the latest OSX on old machines.