Yosemite Battery Life Terrible on '13 MBA

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by ccapman670, Aug 21, 2014.

1. ccapman670 macrumors regular

Anyone else experiencing terrible battery life with Yosemite? With Mavericks I was getting between 10-15 hours depending on usage, now with light usage I'm getting 3 hours with Yosemite.

2. jlrcmba14 macrumors newbie

My 2014 MBA (about 7 days old) is getting relatively shoddy battery life as well. No more than 8 hours, for sure. I do a lot of multi-tasking, but nothing intense. Lots of tabs in Firefox, Mail open in background, sometimes this or that other thing. I expected better and can't decide whether I should downgrade.

3. Sonmi451 Suspended

It's a beta. Maybe something got corrupted with the update, or a process is stuck that's using your resources.

4. GDF macrumors regular

I am getting bad battery life too on a Late 2010 Macbook Air 13. With my setup it looks like Mail is the culprit that not only kills the battery, but also makes my Macbook Air run hotter.

5. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

Maybe because the beta has debugging code in it and it not fully optimized..It is beta after all.

6. RobFog macrumors regular

7. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

Here is what I am showing after a charge... seems to be fairly accurate, now I have not timed it but I do know I only plug it in every other day to charge back up and I use it throughout the day and every night.

2013 13" MBA

Attached Files:

8. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

Battery life on my 2010 macbook 7,1 is markedly reduced. I hope this is only an issue with the Beta - if not, then I won't be upgrading.

On a more minor issue - I wish they had an option to show 'battery time remaining' on the menubar instead of % remaining. I know you can click on the battery to show this information, but I would much rather easily see the length of time remaining rather than the %. I guess they think it takes up too much space and doesn't look 'clean' enough.

9. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

Battery life went own DRASTICALLY on my 2012 15inch MBP as well. Reverted back to Mavericks. Way too dependent on battery life right now.

10. j800r macrumors 6502

If you're dependent on ANYTHING you shouldn't really risk using a beta anyways. Just like if you use your Mac for work. Battery issues and stuff like that I'd have expected to be a given in the beta tbh as they've not completed optimisation yet.

11. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

Battery life is still dramatically reduced on my macbook 7,1 with PB3.
    I understand it is still Beta but is it really likely to change that dramatically once 'fully optimised' for final release?

Does the fact it is an older system with less RAM cause a higher energy/battery usage?

Full battery says 3 hours remaining with no apps running. On Snow Leopard it is about 6-9 hours.

Thanks

12. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

Simple, Snow Leopard is better optimized for your Mac. It is also way more stable and tested.

13. andijames macrumors member

Snow Leopard was 10.6 right? Have you ever used Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks since? What was the battery life like on those OS updates?

The chances are the more features apple add in then they're going to have more of a hit on performance for older machines. I would imagine either 10.7/8 or 9 would have had some impact on performance also.

14. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

Thanks for the reply. Yes, 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Late 2010.

Well I definitely won't be upgrading the macbook if the battery life is that greatly impacted - many many hours less with no apps running!

Thanks