Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Not accurate enough to be useful. The time remaining can jump from 7 hours to 1 hour and back to 6 hours within the span of a minute or two, because of minute-to-minute changes in your computer's workload and power demands.

Spotlight may be indexing your drives, or may have done so recently, which would account for higher than normal usage.

That actually makes perfect sense.

You think it would still be indexing a day after installing?

LOL, no, Chrome isn't optimised to run on anything Mac-wise....

Very true.

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
28% and predicts i have an hour and a half left!

not near the 7 hours... screen brightness is like 1/2

----------

How do you clean install? Maybe I need to do that.

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
28% and predicts i have an hour and a half left!

not near the 7 hours... screen brightness is like 1/2

----------

How do you clean install? Maybe I need to do that.

Make sure you have a backup of everything - time machine is the easier method. Then reboot and hold command +R.

It will boot into the recovery partition. I used disk utility to wipe the boot partition and then reinstall Yosemite.

I did this yesterday and it fixed several issues I was having including battery drain

Kimble Cheat

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
battery life.

I would usually have 7-8 hours on Mavericks at this point.[/QUOTE]

Hi, I bought this mac air because I had been told that Mavericks would extend a great battery time even further...and just for writing stuff on with everything else off, it did over 17 hrs.
Now, it's 10.55 and I'm gutted frankly.
Yosemite sucks for battery time.

My first mac too.
I tweeted Cook but he hasn't got back about it yet?

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Not accurate enough to be useful. The time remaining can jump from 7 hours to 1 hour and back to 6 hours within the span of a minute or two, because of minute-to-minute changes in your computer's workload and power demands.

Actually, I think you got it wrong there or misunderstood my question. "Time on battery" will simply display the amount of time you let your Mac run on battery. So far I have 8 h 31 min with 28% left. That seems to be as accurate as you can get, seeing as it will reset once I plug in the AC (Time on AC).

All in all, battery life on my Air is basically the same. One thing though, I've had this Air for a little more than a year with only 187 battery cycles according to "Battery Diag". I do wonder if I constantly keep it plugged in but only let it run to half, once or twice a month, wouldn't that extend the lifetime pretty well? I'm not technically extending anything, just not using as much cycles really.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Anyone else noticing that battery charge drops a fair amount even when in sleep mode? Does the OS wake up periodically for a background refresh of data or something now?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Actually, I think you got it wrong there or misunderstood my question. "Time on battery" will simply display the amount of time you let your Mac run on battery. So far I have 8 h 31 min with 28% left. That seems to be as accurate as you can get, seeing as it will reset once I plug in the AC (Time on AC).
It now sounds like you're referring to the history of how long you've run on battery, rather than the time remaining on the current battery charge. If that's true, the history of how long you've run on battery is accurate. The time remaining is what I was referring to in my earlier post.
I do wonder if I constantly keep it plugged in but only let it run to half, once or twice a month, wouldn't that extend the lifetime pretty well? I'm not technically extending anything, just not using as much cycles really.
It is generally better for a battery to be exercised (run on battery power regularly), but you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to do that. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Anyone else noticing that battery charge drops a fair amount even when in sleep mode? Does the OS wake up periodically for a background refresh of data or something now?
It's possible your Mac isn't remaining in sleep mode the whole time.

Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode

OS X Mavericks: About Power Nap

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
I don't know why a SMB reset would really work, but it fixed my drain problem...3hr batt life up to 6hr est. Discharge has been solid around -1500

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
It now sounds like you're referring to the history of how long you've run on battery, rather than the time remaining on the current battery charge. If that's true, the history of how long you've run on battery is accurate. The time remaining is what I was referring to in my earlier post.

Yeah, I was referring to the history of how long I've run on the battery.

It is generally better for a battery to be exercised (run on battery power regularly), but you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to do that. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

I've done that all before though and the reason I mentioned it was because I was kind of curious to why I've only had 187 cycles so far, which doesn't seem to very much? I might be mistaken though.

Razer(x)

macrumors regular
May 7, 2014
I don't know why a SMB reset would really work, but it fixed my drain problem...3hr batt life up to 6hr est. Discharge has been solid around -1500

How did you do that? I tried but i don't know if it worked, my battery seems to be reduced

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've done that all before though and the reason I mentioned it was because I was kind of curious to why I've only had 187 cycles so far, which doesn't seem to very much? I might be mistaken though.
That's an average of roughly a cycle every other day, so that's a fair amount of battery exercise.

LJ1109

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2014
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Here are the instructions, sometimes the system just needs a reset after a major update. It's simple.

Do you guys also have that issue when you restart your laptop (upon login page) your battery changes when your on your desktop screen already?

For example:

You shut it down/restart your laptop. It goes to the login page. You see that it's 94% on the login page. After you login you see that it jumps from 100%.

Do you guys have this issue? I just noticed it now and I don't know if it's Yosemite that's the problem or my laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.